DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > LG Electronics

Old 09-09-2013

BarleySinger is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: LG Electronics HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GN22NP20 (Windows XP Professional) [IDE]

I have a problem with my LG DVD drive. I need to know if it is a brick or not.

If it is dead (and the IDE interface on the motherboard is OK) then l will just buy a lower cost/slower "read and write everything" bluray drive

OS INFO :
I am running XP PRO SP3
"winver" tells me this
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111 : Service Pack 3)

The CD/DVD device lists in explorer
it lists in "Contol Panel -> System -> Hardware Manager" as :
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GN22NP20

If I go to "Properties" , windows claims that the device is running properly (sure it is... tell me another story)

However if I try and look at *ANY* disk, it claims there is no media present.

When I use some of my burning software :
DVD DECRYPER says : "Device not ready (Medium not present). It can't open/eject the CD/DVD tray
ASHAMPOO says : There is no CD/DVD in the drive. It can't open/eject the CD/DVD tray
BurnAware Free says : "No Disk". At least it manages to eject the disk

No matter what disk I put in (even a professionally pressed one, which I KNOW works great in other dives) this drive

will not read it). I have tried putting in a "cleaning CD" which is supposed to play some music, however (as with every other "DATA" computer / "non-audio CD" drive that I have tried this disc on) the device spins and can't figure out what to do with it *UNLESS* it is ALREADY working well enough to find the files on a CD (ie, a very dirty drive will not work with it ... so not useful).

So, WIN XP PRO SP3 "knows" the drive is there (in explorer and hardware manager) and what kind it is. I tried running a Microsoft repair program for detecting and fixing CD/DVD problems (MicrosoftFixit.dvd.LB.159300943103304498.1.1.Run. exe) and this did not solve anything at all.

MicrosoftFixit said that the drive still has problems.

Less than 2 months ago I know the drive worked great (for certain) as I had used it to make *many* ISO images of DVDs from another region & it worked great. I do know that there have been software updates and new software added since then (various programs, god knows what) given that many people use the machine, and that software updates automatically these days.

This all started
1) after I made those ISO images using a newly installed program (without rebooting first)
DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0
I have no idea if this has ANYTHING to do with it
the program worked perfectly without the reboot anyway (but a later reboot could change things)

2) I also installed another piece of software (without rebooting) -
"forceaspi17"
it was "strongly recommended" in order to fix any problems with the XP ASPI files (supposedly there are a lot of strange driver file conflicts with ASPI (and it supposedly generally sucks on XP) so several web sites strongly recommended using this program to fix the files "just in case" who knows if this is the issue

BUT - given that I used "MicrosoftFixit.dvd.LB.159300943103304498.1.1.Run. exe" - it OUGHT to have solved any

simple issues that are not really strange.

I have a second LG CD/DVD drive in a USB enclosure (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10A)

It can read CD/DVD discs just fine.

If I have to I'll swap it into the IDE slot (when I have the time) and see if it STILL runs properly.
If it does not work as an IDE ASPI device, then it is definitely the IDE interface (and the motherboard is dying) which

is only a $60 cost as it is an old machine

any other ideas

Support Information:
Device Type: CD / DVD
Manufacturer: LG Electronics
Model: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GN22NP20
Interface: IDE
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Age of Device: Not specified
FCCID:

Type of drive: dvd-r/cd-rw (dvd burner, dvd reader, & cd burner combo)
What recording software are you using?: Other (Other: many (dozens of them - see post))

Find it on DriverGuide | Find it with Google | Research manufacturer LG Electronics

Last edited by BarleySinger : 09-09-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2013
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: LG Electronics HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GN22NP20 (Windows XP Professional) [IDE]

You can isolate the problem by installing the problematic driver in another system. If it works ok in another system ok... then you have lots of work to do in order to get it to work in the problematic system. You may have well toasted it using all that software on it.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]