DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Hewlett Packard (HP)

Old 07-16-2012

rhpdx is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: Hewlett Packard (HP) TS-L632 (Windows Vista) [IDE]

Jerry K had a 17 page long thread about fixing the problem that I had encountered, sadly it had been closed, so am starting a new thread to hopefully find an answer to my dilemma.

A couple months ago my DVD drive stopped showing up in my computer. When I boot the computer you can hear the dvd drive spinning up, it opens when asked, and when you insert a cd/DVD you can hear the drive start. That is as far as it gets.

I have tried downloading the registry fix, the doug knox fix, neither worked. Not surprising, as when I went into the registry there were no upper and lower filters in that folder to be deleted by those two programs. I have downloaded the windows fix, and today I replaced the drive all together, and that also did not resolve the issue. I am at my wits end. In the bios CD/DVD is the second in order in boot sequence, so I assume this means it sees the drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Support Information:
Device Type: CD / DVD
Manufacturer: Hewlett Packard (HP)
Model: TS-L632
Interface: IDE
Operating System: Windows Vista
Age of Device: Not specified
FCCID:

Type of drive: dvd-r/cd-rw (dvd burner, dvd reader, & cd burner combo)
What recording software are you using?: Easy Cd Creator/version

Find it on DriverGuide | Find it with Google | Research manufacturer Hewlett Packard (HP)
Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2012
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Hewlett Packard (HP) TS-L632 (Windows Vista) [IDE]

Is this a notebook drive or a desktop drive? If the drive is missing from "My Computer" (and the fixes discussed in many of my threads fail to correct the problem) then I would suspect a bad drive. The replacement drive, is it an identical drive? Have you double checked the connectors and jumpers to insure the drive is setup correctly? How do you have the drive(s) configured?

Try this test to check to see if the drive works: use a Windows Vista (or XP) install disk to see if it will boot the pc. You will need to change the boot order to "optical drive" as the first boot device. Let me know the outcome and we'll resume trouble shooting.

The thread you speak of was closed because everything had already been said and additional posts would be of no benefit to any member. It was also drifting off-course with the subject matter.
Old 07-16-2012

Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Hewlett Packard (HP) TS-L632 (Windows Vista) [IDE]

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for the response. I read through your entire thread, you helped a lot of people resolve this, sorry to be bringing it back up This is on a HP DV9200US laptop. Identical DVD drive. Not sure what you are referring to by jumpers, nor do I know how it is configured. I was hoping the old drive was faulty, and it would be as easy as plug and play. Sadly, that does not appear to be the case.

I don't have access to my install disk, it is buried somewhere at a house hours from here. Is there any other way to test it?

Thank you again!
Old 07-16-2012
Super Moderator

Jumper = to configure the drive as Master, Slave, or CS (Cable Select). Make sure the replacement drive is jumpered the same as the original drive (only for desktop drives). Does not apply to notebook drives since they come preconfigured for the laptop it's used in.

Yes, there's another way to test it... eg: take it to a repair professional and have it tested.
Old 07-17-2012

Good morning Jerry,

That was my last resort. I am on the verge of just buying a new laptop, so this might be that crucial turning point. Replacing the drive, then paying a tech to fix it, coupled with a need for a new monitor cable, and a hand full of small glitches... might just be time to retire this machine.

If I have a repair tech take a look, I will report back with their findings, in hopes that it may resolve a similar issue for another person out there.
Old 07-18-2012
Super Moderator

Notebook optical drives are built cheap from plastic mostly. Heat is the enemy here coupled with dust and lint makes them short lived. However, if you replaced the drive with an identical drive, it should have worked providing it was a good drive.
Old 07-18-2012

Phoenix2112 is on a distinguished road

The first thing I always do in this type of situation is try to narrow down where the problem lies.
Step 1. Boot the system with a bootable disk in the drive. If your Windows install disk is not available, there are many places online where you can go to create one,
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
being one I would trust. You need to use a good working computer (a friends?) to create the disk. You also need to go into BIOS and ensure that the CD/DVD drive is first in your boot sequence. The owner's manual should tell you how to enter BIOS on startup. If you don't have one, you can download it from hp as a Adobe Acrobat file.

Step 2. If the disk will not boot, then you would seem to have a hardware problem. If it WILL boot, then you have a software problem.

Try this then tell us the result.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]