DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Microsoft & Input Devices (mouse, etc.)

Old 10-01-2010

echelle23 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: Microsoft wired keyboard 500 (Windows XP Home)

Hi.

I was given the Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 to use on my dell laptop. Unfortunately, the keyboard is ps/2 and my laptop doesn't have that option. I purchased a ps/2-usb adapter and the computer doesn't recognise it as anything except unknown device.

The people who sold me the adapter advised to try and find a usb driver for the keyboard and it should solve my problems. I haven't been able to find one though, so if you could give me any assistance, I'd really appreciate it.

Support Information:
Device Type: Input Devices (mouse, etc.)
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Model: wired keyboard 500
Interface: Other
Operating System: Windows XP Home
Age of Device: < 2 years old
FCCID:

Find it on DriverGuide | Find it with Google | Research manufacturer Microsoft
Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Microsoft wired keyboard 500 (Windows XP Home)

You don't need any driver except to enable the special Internet/Volume/etc. keys (if it contains those keys). The normal keys (all the keys found on a standard keyboard) do not require any driver since the OS provides the driver automatically. For the simple fact that you're saying the system doesn't see it tells me you have a problem with the keyboard, ie: defective in some way, could be damage to the electronic circuit or it could be a cable problem. Either way, no driver is going to help you except to enable those special function keys.

Or perhaps you're usb port is not working properly. Check it's condition in Device Manager... also check in bios setup to insure it's enabled.
Old 10-01-2010

echelle23 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Microsoft wired keyboard 500 (Windows XP Home)

when i plug it in and press a key, the computer throws up a little window saying device not recognised. I thought it may be something happening communication wise between the ps/2 and the adapter....
Old 10-01-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Microsoft wired keyboard 500 (Windows XP Home)

No key-press is required. The OS will detect and install this keyboard automatically without doing anything (as soon as it's plugged in). Since it's not being detected and installed automatically by the system, you have a problem with the keyboard, it's cable, the ps2 to usb adapter or the USB port.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]