DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Driver Request Forums > Removable Drive Request Board

Old 08-19-2010

fraser2411 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: Toshiba mk1637gsx (Windows Vista) [IDE]

Hi i have tryed to install a clean new version of vista but when it comes to installation it says there is no hard drive driver, drive is a toshiba hdd2d60 a vl01 t s/ny7kxt2qvt bf3 el-a thats all the details of the hard drive itself, Laptop is a samsung np-r60fy07suk. 160gb. Also its not for this laptop its for another so need download i can burn and put into other when windows asks for it.
See what you can do for me please.

Support Information:
Device Type: Removable drive
Manufacturer: Toshiba
Model: mk1637gsx
Interface: IDE
Operating System: Windows Vista
Age of Device: < 2 years old
FCCID:

Find it on DriverGuide | Find it with Google | Research manufacturer Toshiba
Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Toshiba mk1637gsx (Windows Vista) [IDE]

A Toshiba MK1637GSX is a 2.5" Hard Drive of 160 GB. size with SATA interface. Hard drives do not require a driver (in any OS). What does require a driver is the SATA controller.

Most SATA controller drivers come included with the Vista OS so it's not understood why your having a problem. Just use the restore feature and the driver should be extracted automatically from the restore disk (or hidden partition on the hard drive).

Before we can begin to help, you must identify the SATA controller.

And btw, you need to install the hard drive into the laptop it's to be used in before you can install Vista OS. What you're trying to do is a no-no. No professional would ever attempt such a feat.
Old 08-21-2010

fraser2411 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Toshiba mk1637gsx (Windows Vista) [IDE]

Hi

the vista installer is saying cant find driver to install to so i cant go any further in instalation, its not finding the hard drive, iv been told and from what iv read i need to use a program called Nlite to add a driver into the windows disk.

Im trying to fix this laptop for my mate i am using mine to do all the searching and downloading.

Please give me any suggestions.
Old 08-22-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Toshiba mk1637gsx (Windows Vista) [IDE]

The Vista install (or quick restore disk or files installed from the hidden partition on the hard drive) disk includes drivers for most SATA controllers. You must be trying to install Vista from a Vista only install disk rather than from the install disk made for the laptop. You won't have much luck doing it that way.... and you still have not described the SATA controller. There's not much I can offer except to tell you to visit the Toshiba website closest to your location to see if they offer the SATA driver for the laptop.

If you have the restore disks (or if the restore files are contained on a hidden partition on the hard drive), those will be required if you wish to properly restore Vista to your laptop. There's a right way and a wrong way and you're definitely doing it the wrong way. It's much easier and faster when you do it the right way. Why folks always try to do what can't be done is beyond belief. There are no short-cuts with Vista..... it can only be installed the right way as the wrong way won't work (as you have already discovered).
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]