DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Driver Request Forums > CD / DVD Request Board

Old 04-23-2010

bigangst is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: Dell Computer Dell HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B (Windows XP Home) [IDE]

I just eliminated a rootkit infection on my computer and since It's been eliminated I cannot use my CD-RW drive.

When you look at it in Device Manager it says

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

I've taken out the Upper and Lower Filters in the registry entries. I've also uninstalled the device and rebooted and the when it tries to reinstall the hardware I get the same results, A yellow question mark in Device manager and the message above.

I've also tried the fix it app from the Microsoft site and it could not fix it either.

I can see the device in device Manager But I cannot see it in My Computer.

I'm stumped. According to what I've read this should be a reasonably easy fix. Any Suggestions?

Support Information:
Device Type: CD / DVD
Manufacturer: Dell Computer
Model: Dell HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B
Interface: IDE
Operating System: Windows XP Home
Age of Device: < 2 years old
FCCID:

Type of drive: cd-rw, cd-rom (rewriter &amp; reader)
What recording software are you using?: Sonic Record Now/version

Find it on DriverGuide | Find it with Google | Research manufacturer Dell Computer
Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Dell Computer Dell HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B (Windows XP Home) [IDE]

It is an easy fix.... you're just overlooking some small detail. Use the CdGone.zip file to fix the registry.

Fix #3: - (recommended fix)
This is the easiest method (CdGone.zip) that will do this procedure automatically for you if you're afraid to edit the registry manually.
Code:
http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=22131 (automatic fix, post #7, download file: CdGone.zip) Unzip the file, then launch it. I highly recommend this fix to use over the others. It's quick and requires no skill to use.
Old 04-23-2010

bigangst is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Dell Computer Dell HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B (Windows XP Home) [IDE]

Hi,

I neglected to tell you I had already tried CDgone.zip. Anyway, I tried it again just for kicks (I downloaded a fresh copy per your instructions), rebooted my PC, no results. Uninstalled my CD player from device manager again and rebooted. My PC tries to install the CD-rw twice, then tries to install a basic CD-Rom, then gives me a message saying it was unable to install the device.
I can see the CD-RW in device manager with a yellow exclamation point but I cannot see it in My Computer.

I have experience with The Registry so if it's a registry issue I'm comfortable checking any Keys that need checking. After working on cleaning up a terrible rootkit/scareware problem for two weeks this is just icing on the cake! I just want to use my burner! (O.K. I'm done ranting!)
Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-23-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Dell Computer Dell HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B (Windows XP Home) [IDE]

I suggest you either test the drive in another computer or take it to a repair shop and have them check it. You must determine if the drive is ok or if it's a software problem.... that's the only 2 ways to tell if the drive is ok.

Normally, in most cases, when a drive is missing from My Computer, performing the registry fix will cure about 99.9% of cases.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]