DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > LG Electronics

Old 10-16-2009

YOLY44 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: LG Electronics LG GP08-LU10 External Super Multi DVD Rewriter (Windows XP Home) [USB]

My PC does not recognize the external drive, it states that the device drivers are either missing or corrupt. Actually it doesn't recognize the internal CD ROM (Phillips) either. But the external is more important.

Support Information:
Device Type: CD / DVD
Manufacturer: LG Electronics
Model: LG GP08-LU10 External Super Multi DVD Rewriter
Interface: USB
Operating System: Windows XP Home
Age of Device: < 2 years old
FCCID:

Type of drive: dvd-r/cd-rw (dvd burner, dvd reader, &amp; cd burner combo)
What recording software are you using?: Nero/version

Find it on DriverGuide | Find it with Google | Research manufacturer LG Electronics
Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: LG Electronics LG GP08-LU10 External Super Multi DVD Rewriter (Windows XP Home) [USB]

Optical drives never require a driver when used in any Windows os from Win95 up. Windows XP and Windows Vista both provide native support that allows an optical drive to read a data or music disk and to burn a cd-r disk. No support for playing dvd disks, avi or mpeg video files, or for burning cd-rw or dvd disks. For those tasks, compatible 3rd. party recording & dvd decoding software is required. Any modern optical drive is plug and play in all Windows OS's beginning with Windows 95.

If your problem is non-detection, ie: drive is not listed in My Computer, there's 4 different methods to fix this problem....
take your choice from below:

Fix #1: Please read post #24 in this thread: http://forums.driverguide.com/showth...t=21669&page=4

It contains manual instructions on the delete the upper and lower filters fix, that will solve the problem.
If only one of the two filters are listed, just proceed with deleting the one only, then resume.
Alternately, you can use any of the other fixes listed below: (Fix #3 is the easiest of all to use)

Fix #2:
Also, there is a STICKY posted in this forum that contains a file from Microsoft and instructions that will do this registry edit automatically instead of having to do it manually.
You can find this thread here: http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=30011

Fix #3:
And here's another method (CdGone.zip) that will do this procedure automatically for you if you're afraid to edit the registry manually.

Code:
http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=22131 (automatic fix, post #7, download file: CdGone.zip) Unzip the file, then launch it. I highly recommend this fix to use over the others. It's quick and requires no skill to use.

Fix #4:
Alternately, download and install the DVD fix from this Web site: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs

Download the file and save it to Desktop. Open an "admin" Command Prompt
Note: You must copy and paste (into Notepad) the text on the Doug Knox page then save it as xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs
then run the .vbs file by typing the following at the console window:

wscript.exe "%userprofile%\desktop\xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs"

Now.... after performing this fix, don't reboot yet. Next, (in Device Manager), uninstall all optical drives listed
(if none are listed, continue with next step)...

Reboot the pc or "scan for hardware changes". Your drive(s) should now be visible in My Computer and work properly.
If the drive still fails to work properly after performing any of these fixes, it most likely will need to be replaced.

Also, for optical drive problems in Windows Vista, read this HP web page.

Even though it's for HP/Compaq machines, the same principals applies to all modern IDE optical drives regardless of brand.

If your drive stopped working after installing an Adobe product, please read this thread. Note: about 2/3rds. down the page
is a video that shows how to perform the "delete upper and lower filters fix".

This is a multi-page thread dealing with issues of the optical drive and problems encountered in Windows XP and Vista.
It covers a lot of issues and the most common causes and solutions. Click here to read the thread.

You can get instructions for performing this fix from Microsoft at this page [in Windows XP] and from this page. [in Windows 2000]

Also, check the USB port(s) in Device Manager to insure it's working.
Old 09-05-2010

fatalflaw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: LG Electronics LG GP08-LU10 External Super Multi DVD Rewriter (Windows XP Home) [USB]

This worked great, thanks! I came upon this fix trying to get an external CD/DVD to run, but after using it my once--thought--dead internal unit is working again, fantastic!!
Old 09-05-2010
Super Moderator

idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: LG Electronics LG GP08-LU10 External Super Multi DVD Rewriter (Windows XP Home) [USB]

Glad to be of help and thanks for the ty note.
Old 11-17-2012

porcelain punk is on a distinguished road
Question Re: DRIVER NEEDED: LG Electronics LG GP08-LU10 External Super Multi DVD Rewriter (Windows XP Home) [USB]

Well, I recently had an Acer 11.6" laptop running Windows XP, and there were so many problems with it -- malware, viruses, worms, adware, etc. I dared not put it on the network for what or who it might infect (our police force was setting up a MESH network and hadn't gotten the password functions set up properly -- would certainly hate to be prosecuted for accidentally spreading wireless herpes).

Anyway, on to the present (please forgive my rambling.. I write and have been working on my book recently so I spew verbal vomit after writing so long): a genius in the family decided to forgo just installing Windows 7 and popped it right up to Win8 because they were running a "good deal." When Microsoft runs a "good deal," it's pretty in the beginning but the bite gets infected in the end. I'm not sure how stable Win8 is... but apparently I'm the labrat that the experiment was thrown upon.

I posted in this thread because I, too, have an H-L (Hitachi & LG were having bad external dvd+-rw babies at the time) LG Model GP08-LU10 "External Super Multi DVD Rewriter." Normally, I would just follow instructions as they seem to have worked for others who have come before me, but as I run none of the OS models you mentioned, I admit I'm wary to try the regular, tried-and-true fixes.

I'm currently having to find drivers for a few others things as well, such as my synaptics touchpad (the scrolling doesn't work right now), but I'd just rather find an app that can set up my kindle fire or my ipad as a nice touchpad -- already found an app that can set up an iPad as a secondary or mirror monitor (with touchscreen abilities) for Windows.

Anyway, I am at your mercy. Please let me know if you have any potential solutions. I'm willing to try just about anything -- even a perhaps untested method, as I've just had it installed and therefore have no other software on it that would make me loathe to have to reformat.

Thank you very much, both for your help and for you putting up with this post in its entirety.
~porcelain

Last edited by Jerry K : 11-17-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2012
Super Moderator

What exactly is the question or problem? I couldn't extract much from your post.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]