DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Printers, Plotters, Multifunction Office Equipment

Old 03-10-2009

srh is on a distinguished road
Question Winxp HP Deskjet 720C printer driver

I purchased the latest Winxp HP Deskjet 720C printer driver HPVUD50.zip on 3/5/09 for a network add printer wizard driver. It does not work. The add printer wizard is looking for a .inf file. The files unzipped were Finstall.Dll, and WPDSKJTB.DRV.

The order was for ID: 96F99239EP544504VV DriverGuide Driver Download Item# 42622 on 3/5/2009.

Would you explain how to use the drive files correctly, or send the correct WinXP HP Deskjet 720C printer file, or make a refund to account?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winxp HP Deskjet 720C printer driver

Why would you want to purchase a printer driver when you already have it? The Deskjet 720C is supported by drivers embedded into the os. All that's required is installation.

Click Start, Printers & Faxes, Add New Printer, select port, select HP, select HP DeskJet 720C. No disk is needed since the driver comes from a cab file that resides on the hard drive. But if you have deleted that cab file, then you must have the Windows XP install disk handy when prompted for it.
Old 03-11-2009

Question Re: Winxp HP Deskjet 720C printer driver

You are right I all ready have the drivers on the install WinXP and WinME install CDs. The drivers are install from the CDs on each computer from the WinXP OS or from an HP Deskjet 720C printer .exe file. I have no problem with the drivers on each WinXP and WinME computers and they work fine.

However, I have installed a Home Network using three computers: WinXP Prof, WinME and a WinXp Home laptop. I have everything working and shring files between all computers except for sharing the HP Deskjet 720C printer on the WinXP computer with the WinMe computer. To do this requires using the add printer on the WinME computer to use the WinXP computer printer. When this is done it requires selecting a computer printer used on the network (the Winxp HP Desktop 720C printer). I can select the printer in the add printer wizard of the Win XP computer (that uses a WinXP driver) and then it asks for a driver from the WinMe computer. The drivers on the WinXP and WinME computers for the HP Deskjet 720C printers are not compatible). It then allows me to select a driver from the add printer wizard, but it only has the WinMe printer driver and I am trying to use the printer on WinXP. It allows me to install the printer from "have disk", but it want except the WinXP install disk and it doesn't need the WinMe disc. Therfore, I need a WinXP installation driver disk or file that has a .inf file used to start the driver to install. This is the driver file that I am requesting and that many other people with old printers used in a network are asking for. This file is not provided on the WinXP install CD.

I searched fo a cab file on my WinXP computer and on the WinXP instlation disc, and find none. I also haven't deleted a cab file from my computer, and as I have stated I can't use the WinXP installation CD with the new add printer on the WinMe computer.

When I looked through the driverguide site page for selecting a driver on a network using the add printer it seemed to inference that the correct driver could be supplied, because you don't need the driver (as you stated) except when you are installing it on a network as I am.

Hope this clears the situation up so it can be resolved.

Could you explain how the driver sent to me works to install on a Network, supply me with the correct driver, or refund my payment as I can't use this driver as it is.

Thanks srh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry K
Why would you want to purchase a printer driver when you already have it? The Deskjet 720C is supported by drivers embedded into the os. All that's required is installation.

Click Start, Printers & Faxes, Add New Printer, select port, select HP, select HP DeskJet 720C. No disk is needed since the driver comes from a cab file that resides on the hard drive. But if you have deleted that cab file, then you must have the Windows XP install disk handy when prompted for it.
Old 03-11-2009
Super Moderator

Sorry, but I don't have anything to do with buying/selling drivers. I'm only a moderator. You need to contact whomever sold the disk to you to inquire about a refund.

I don't understand what you wanting. Please condense your request into about 1/4 the size of your existing post and simply say what you want and what OS you want it for. As I said earlier, the XP driver is supplied with the OS. No other driver is required (or available). If not for Microsoft, there wouldn't even be a Windows XP driver since HP never wrote any XP drivers for this printer model. Production of the Deskjet 720C was stopped long before the introduction of Windows XP.
Old 03-12-2009

I want an HP Deskjet 720C driver for WinXP OS that can be read by the Network "For Shared Printer". Reference the Driver Guide site information for "If your client PC has a different OS than the server PC":

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/PRI...river-VA.shtml

The driver file I received will not perform as directed.
Old 03-13-2009
Super Moderator

Network printer drivers must be installed from the actual machine connected to the network. For instance, if one pc has Windows XP installed and another pc has Windows ME installed then you will need to install 2 drivers, one for each machine and one machine will require a Windows XP driver and the other machine will required a Windows ME driver. But each driver will need to be installed at each machine.

The driver for both machines is included with the OS so no other driver is needed. Just install each driver the same using the ADD NEW PRINTER wizard. It's much easier to install using this method over trying to install the drivers from the network.
Old 03-13-2009

That is not correct, because I am in the process of doing it, and it appears that others have tried too. I have the print drivers installed on both computers and they are working on both computers. The WinXP driver installs from the WinXP installaton CD. The WinME driver doesn't install from the WinME installation CD, because the HP Deskjet 720C printer didn't exist when it was released. The WinME printer driver is installed from an HP provided printer driver, dj720en.exe file update.

The WinXP installion CD has only the printer drivers for the WinXP OS.

When printing on the client (WinME) computer the network printer is on host (WinXP) computer. The add printer wizard is required to add the WinXP printer and its driver for the WinMe computer. The WinMe installation CD does not have the drivers for HP Deskjet 720C printer on it, because when the WinMe CD OS was released there was no HP Deskjet 720C printer or driver. The add printer wizard won't allow the WinXp installation CD to be used. Another WinXP driver is required that can be run on the add printer wizard option using "have disc".

Don't tell me again the driver is on the original WinXP and WinME installation CDs, because it isn't. In fact if it was, DriverGuide should not be advertising to sell the printer driver. The driverguide site that I referenced for you before infers that there is another driver for networks with different OS. What is stated is correct, as another driver is required.

Other members would agree or disagree with what has been stated above, and are requested to join in the discussion. especially if you have or had the same problem, or have resoved it.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]