DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Driver Request Forums > Graphics / Video Adapter Request Board

Old 08-05-2008

csmda is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: Dell Video Controller (VGA compatible) (Windows XP Professional) [PCI / ISA]

I recently had to reinstall my OS for the 2nd time in 3 months. I lost my utilities CD (I know, next time it will be in a very safe place and I think it's time for a new laptop). My computer is saying it's missing 2 drivers. One is the Video Controller (VGA compatible) and the other is the Ethernet Controller. I have dl'd every possible drive for my model on dell (xps m1210- windows xp professional) and none of them worked for these 2.

Please help me! My quality on my screen is terrible right now and everything is SO slow. It's obvious those drivers need to be installed asap.

Thank you so much for your time
Amanda

Support Information:
Device Type: Graphics / Video Adapter
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Video Controller (VGA compatible)
Interface: PCI / ISA
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Age of Device: < 2 years old
FCCID:

Find it on DriverGuide | Find it with Google
Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Dell Video Controller (VGA compatible) (Windows XP Professional) [PCI / ISA]

There are no choices. You must use the drivers from Dell as they are the only one's that WILL work. Laptops are different than desktops as they cannot use generic drivers like desktops can. Using any kind of driver other than the specific driver from the laptop maker (or "hacked" for laptop drivers) will result in a failed install. You can find ATI and nVidia "hacked" for laptops video drivers on these sites:

www.omegadrivers.net
www.laptopvideo2go.com
www.notebookdriverdownload.com

As for the ethernet, you might be able to visit the Dell website and find a similar laptop that uses the same hardware and has support in Windows XP and use that driver. Finding working drivers for a laptop is a difficult task unless you can find a working driver from the laptop maker.
Old 08-07-2008

csmda is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Dell Video Controller (VGA compatible) (Windows XP Professional) [PCI / ISA]

Nothing is working. I think I may have installed the drivers in the wrong order and that's my problem.

What do I do now? Is there a way to uninstall some of these drivers and reinstall in the proper order?
Old 08-09-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

The proper method is to install the OS first and make sure it's working properly. Once done, then install any drivers for on-board hardware. Then install any applications that you require.

My Dell restore disk has the XP OS install program on one disk and drivers on another, ie: 2 disks came with the pc, Dimension 9100 desktop.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]