Re: DRIVER NEEDED: unknown HL DT ST DVD-RW GWA-4082N (Windows XP Home) [IDE]
Well, if the reason the generic driver doesn't work is because it gives you an error message when you try to install it, you can try this:
To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, go to run and type in "regedit" then press enter.
2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
At this point you may be able to install the generic driver without a "driver corrupt" error. If this isn't your problem, hopefully it'll help someone. <_<