DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Sony Electronics

Old 06-02-2007

legacy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: Sony Electronics DW-Q520A (Windows XP Professional) [IDE]

this is a replacement in a Toshiba A60.. but have no driver

Support Information:
Device Type: CD / DVD
Manufacturer: Sony Electronics
Model: DW-Q520A
Interface: IDE
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Age of Device: < 6 months old
FCCID:

Type of drive: dvd-r/cd-rw (dvd burner, dvd reader, &amp; cd burner combo)
What recording software are you using?: Nero/version

Find it on DriverGuide | Find it with Google | Research manufacturer Sony Electronics
Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Sony Electronics DW-Q520A (Windows XP Professional) [IDE]

No driver is needed. Windows XP provides native support that allows this drive to read a data or music disk and to burn a cd-r disk. What seems to be the problem?
Old 05-27-2008

jpaines is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Sony Electronics DW-Q520A (Windows XP Professional) [IDE]

Hi Jerry

I have a problem and was looking to update the driver until I read this thread. My problem occurs when using my sony DVD RW DW-Q520A in my laptop with XP. It has started 'locking up' any software programs using it. Symptoms are when playing a DVD in WinDVD if I press "pause", leave the laptop for a few minutes, and then press play again, the drive spins up to speed, then spins down, pauses, then spins up etc and this continues indefinitely. I face similar problems with other programs - just now trying to burn a DVD with Roxio Disk Copy (which used to work fine) and I've also had problems playing in Windows Media Player - basically all these problems involve the user software stopping (freezing) to one degree or another, and often with the drive spinning up and down as just described. So the problem appears to be due to the drive, not any user software. Can you help?

JP
Old 05-27-2008
Super Moderator

It sounds like you have corrupt dvd decoding software or you're using an old version. Is WinDVD a late version or old version? It's also possible the drive is flaky. You might try uninstalling WinDVD and re-installing it.

Did the problem start after installing some software? What were you doing or what had you done when the problem developed?
Old 06-02-2008

Hi Jerry

It's WIn DVD 8 - so not very new. But the problem does occur with other software eg Media Player. I'm not sure when the problem first occurred - I'm not aware of it being associated with any particular thing. What would you recommend? How do I re-install DVD decodign software?

Thanks so much.

JP
Old 06-02-2008
Super Moderator

It needs to be un-installed first. Double-click ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in Control Panel and select WinDVD 8 then click Remove. WinDVD 9 is out but the version 8 should work just fine. Windows Media Player alone will play music just fine but it won't play dvd movie disks without a decoder like WinDVD installed.
Old 06-03-2008

The uninstall and reinstall worked! Thank you very much Jerry.
Closed Thread [Upload Driver/Firmware]