DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Storage Devices (Hard drives, tapes, ...)

Old 12-29-2006

bigkaw is on a distinguished road
Question How do i install windows xp on a blank hard drive?

I have a removable 80g hard drive, I took the hard drive out of the casing, it’s now just the hard drive. I would like to install windows XP on it, but when I try to install XP with the CD it wont let me get passed the (press enter to install fresh copy of windows) when I hit enter it tells me to press F3 to restart. Do I need to format the hard drive? And if so how do I do that.
THANK YOU! I really need help! IM SO Frustrated!

Last edited by Jerry K : 12-29-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2006
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: How do i install windows xp on a blank hard drive?

If it has already been formatted, no format is necessary unless you wish to change FAT to NTFS or vice-versa. Windows XP installation menu has formatting built right in... just choose format from the menu when it appears.

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

Or you can use the drive manufacturers drive installation software to prepare the drive. Free from their website.
Old 12-30-2006
Super Moderator

idea Step-by-step on how to install Windows XP

Old 12-30-2006

bigkaw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do i install windows xp on a blank hard drive?

yes i would like to chane it form FAT, but i am not able to get to that point on the install. i will not let me install Windows. i get to the screen that says
R = Repare C= continue F3= quiet, if i schoose eater of the first 2, it says that i cant do this and i need to hit F3 to restrt my computer. im not sure how else to format it except Via the Windows intall cd.
might you have any other ideas THANKS SO MUCH!
also, i dont think its ever been formated. as i said the hard drive was origanly a external hard drive in a hard case, and i took it out. so i could use the drive

Last edited by bigkaw : 12-30-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2006
Super Moderator

idea Re: How do i install windows xp on a blank hard drive?

read the section entitled Install Windows XP to a new hard disk from the link in post #2.

Partitioning and formatting a drive are included in the Windows XP installation program. again read and follow the instructions.

This is assuming you have the drive properly configured, installed, and correct bios settings. If you need additional help, please tell us how it's configured, installed and if you have enabled the ide port in bios setup.

If you don't know what any of this means, I suggest you take it to a repair shop who understands how to install and configure a hard drive.
Old 04-02-2009

kipkay is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: How do i install windows xp on a blank hard drive?

assuming you have configured your bios correctly after installing the hd correctly, jumper settings included . you boot from either your a. drive or you boot from cd. if your os is ME or younger you boot from floopy drive a. if your os is 2000 or xp you can boot from cd. if you are booting to a blank hd don't worry. the 2000 xp cd will usually pick up the slack and install the necessities to boot from cd. all you should have to do is press any key like it says. If you would like to make a usb hd your main xp install that is a different ball game.
Old 02-17-2012

yonpa is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: How do i install windows xp on a blank hard drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkaw
I have a removable 80g hard drive, I took the hard drive out of the casing, it’s now just the hard drive. I would like to install windows XP on it, but when I try to install XP with the CD it wont let me get passed the (press enter to install fresh copy of windows) when I hit enter it tells me to press F3 to restart. Do I need to format the hard drive? And if so how do I do that.
THANK YOU! I really need help! IM SO Frustrated!

When you want your computer to boot on 2 operating systems, you first need to divide your hard drive into 2 separate partitions. Creating a partition is different from just formatting your hard disk. And you may visit this one for more information regarding your problem.
>>http://www.techyv.com/questions/why-...g-occasionally
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]