DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Microsoft & Input Devices (mouse, etc.)

Old 11-16-2006

Skarlock is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander (Windows Vista) [USB]

I have a dilema, I would like to upgrade to Windows Vista in January but I cannot face losing my Strategic Commander. As yet I've been unable to install the Strat on any beta or release candidate version of Vista. Does anyone know a workaround to install the device on Vista or anyone know of someone who's written some alternative drivers that work under Vista?

Support Information:
Device Type: Input Devices (mouse, etc.)
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Model: Sidewinder Strategic Commander
Interface: USB
Operating System: Windows Vista
Age of Device: Not specified
FCCID:

Find it on DriverGuide | Find it with Google | Research manufacturer Microsoft
Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2006

BODYPRINT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander (Windows Vista) [USB]

Hey Skarlock, I have had varying degrees of success with the SC in Vista, but no definate solution. You'd think M$ would have added the drivers to Vista hey !!

I have got it to work twice since running Vista RTM using the 2000/XP drivers. When I got it to work it was always by playing about in Device Manager and removing/reinstalling the drivers.

The only useful thing I can add is that when it works, there are 4 parts to the driver in Device manager that all show up under Human Interface Devices.

Microsoft SideWinder Strategic Commander
Microsoft SideWinder Strategic Commander HID Drivers
Microsoft SideWinder Virtual Keyboard
Microsoft SideWinder Virtual Mouse

The 1 that is really hard to get up is the Virtual Mouse. If you can get all 4 parts to show up, then the Strategic Commander software will run and work correctly.

I will persue with this and try find a solution, but till then, good luck :-)
Old 11-28-2006

enb141 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander (Windows Vista) [USB]

How did you do that?

Adding legacy hardware?

Would you like to express us your method you've used to enable this?
Old 01-30-2007

Skarlock is on a distinguished road

Well today is the release day of Vista and I'm still putting off upgrading. I've tried a number of times to get it to run on the last beta release (I dont have the RTM) with no luck. If anyone manages to get the Strat to work with the release versions of Vista please post here and you will make me very happy!
Old 02-02-2007

enb141 is on a distinguished road

The way of making it to work is turning off UAC.

Look

http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/mo...28164#12 8164
Old 02-08-2007

Umask077 is on a distinguished road

[quote=Skarlock]I have a dilema, I would like to upgrade to Windows Vista in January but I cannot face losing my Strategic Commander. As yet I've been unable to install the Strat on any beta or release candidate version of Vista. Does anyone know a workaround to install the device on Vista or anyone know of someone who's written some alternative drivers that work under Vista?

Heres my quick fix to enable most of the functionality of the Strategic commander.

http://www.packetloss.com/vista/index.html
Old 06-10-2009

Dareon is on a distinguished road

This Product was designed for Windows 98, Me, XP. Vista or Windows 7 is no more supported. As a very good alternative to drivers and software is Strategic Engine. You can set all buttons and functions as with original software.
I tested it on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and it works perfect. Enjoy
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]