DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Driver Request Forums > CD / DVD Request Board

Old 10-18-2006

ThaiGold is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: LiteOn Technology DVDRW SOHW-8125 (Windows XP Professional) [IDE]

I lost the original software CD and then had to format, now I'm completely stuck, and haven't been able to properly use the device for over a year. Please help.

Support Information:
Device Type: CD / DVD
Manufacturer: LiteOn Technology
Model: DVDRW SOHW-8125
Interface: IDE
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Age of Device: < 2 years old
FCCID:

Type of drive: dvd-r/cd-rw (dvd burner, dvd reader, &amp; cd burner combo)
What recording software are you using?: Nero/version

Find it on DriverGuide | Find it with Google | Research manufacturer LiteOn Technology
Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2006
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: LiteOn Technology DVDRW SOHW-8125 (Windows XP Professional) [IDE]

Windows XP has native support that allows your drive to read a data or music disk and to burn a cd-r disk. For anything else you'll need compatible recording software like Easy Cd Creator or Nero and WinDVD or PowerDVD. We cannot provide you with copyrighted software... however, you might find free software but I don't recommend it. Stick with software that works right.
Old 10-20-2006

ThaiGold is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: LiteOn Technology DVDRW SOHW-8125 (Windows XP Professional) [IDE]

I do have capable software. I have been using Nero for years , even tried roxio and some other freebies, ended up having more problems with software compatibilities. The drive works for the most part, especially with normal CD functions but writing a disc underruns 99 out of 100 times. I have no problem reading a dvd or copying with DVD Xcopy, but get nowhere with anything else like Real. I have tried everything from different media to new ASPI layers and the only thing I ever come up with is that my DVD-RW drive has the same windows generic driver that my CD-R drive uses. If it may provide any clue another oddity is everytime the drive fails, afterwards device manager says they are both diconnected from the computer, even though they will still work (as they would have).The only thing I have not tried is the correct driver because I can't find it for my model. 812S is the closest and it just tells me not to continue...current model is 8125. The first setup of my PC was without a hitch, but then I needed a re-format, and couldn't find the drivers disk. please help

Last edited by ThaiGold : 10-20-2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2006
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: LiteOn Technology DVDRW SOHW-8125 (Windows XP Professional) [IDE]

There are no drivers available (and none are needed) other than what Windows XP provides. So stop wasting your time looking for something that doesn't exist. The only drivers that exist are for DOS and you don't need those when your running Windows XP os. The support that exists natively from Windows XP is the only support you will get other than from recording software and dvd decoding software. I suggest you do a thorough cleaning of ALL software you have installed trying to get this drive to work, including the registry. If you are unable to do this manually then get software that will do it for you (like Registry Mechanic 5.1). Once you have all software removed and the registry clean, then check to see if the drive will read a data or music disk. If it won't then Windows is not detecting your drive properly.

CD RW issues are often helped by the "Delete upper and lower filters" fix in the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Might be worth a shot...

Do not install any recording software until the drive is able to read a data or music disk properly. Once it does, then install only 1 compatible recording software (not more than one). Installing multiple recording software on a machine will cause trouble like your presently experiencing. Make sure it's compatible before installing it by checking the recording software makers webiste drive compatibility page. For instance, Easy Cd Creator must be version 5.x or higher. Older recording software won't work in Windows XP. After installing one recording software, then check to insure it works properly before installing DVD decoding software (which allows the drive to read/play dvd disks.

You possibly have a defective drive or one with a dirty laser lens. Have you tried cleaning it?

When a drive is properly configured with the master/slave/cs jumper on the back, and it's connected to a working secondary ide port, then Windows will usually properly detect it and install native support without user intervention or without notification. The only way to tell if it's installed properly is to check in My Computer or Device Manager to see if it's listed there. Then at that point is when you need to test it to see if it reads a data or music disk ok.

Easy Cd Creator or Nero either one, installs lots of files and dozens of registry entries and the removal program does not clean those registry entries. The yhave to be cleaned by software or manually.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]