DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Audio & Multimedia

Old 07-23-2006

mjohn911 is on a distinguished road
Default Line in / mic in

I have a newer Sony vaio laptop. I'm trying to record line-in to my computer, and pick it up with software such as Nero WaveEditor.

The problem is, my laptop only has one input and one output. The output is a headphone out, and the input is a line in / mic in headphone jack.

My sound card is Realtek HD Audio. I downloaded the latest drivers.

Because it only has one input, Realtek HD audio manager is set up to think that the input is a MIC input. But my signal coming in is from the line out of my stereo deck. So, even if I have my record volume all the way down, and the MIC 20db boost OFF, the signal WAY overpowers what it's designed to handle, resulting in horrible distortion.

Is there a way to make Realtek think that the input is a line-in instead of a mic in? If it did, perhaps it would knock the record level down about 20 more decibels, which would be just about right.

However, I've poked around the Realtek HD audio manager to look for a setting for this, but there is none. So I updated the drivers, and now it has less options than it did before.

http://www.mjohn911.byethost10.com/pictures/realtek.JPG

Does anyone know how to fix this, or maybe know a registry tweak where I can change the input dB? (There is also no setting in the system Bios)

There should be a way to change it. My mom also has realtek on her PC and it has a setting for it that can be changed, but not this one.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2006
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Line in / mic in

It sounds like your stereo deck is designed to connect to a pair of speakers (high level output) instead of to a (low level) input.

There exists hardware that will correct this problem. It's called an attenuator.
Old 10-24-2007

thomassk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Line in / mic in

Hi,
I have exactly the same scenario and I encounter the same problem on my laptop! In addition the recorded audio data are only mono, which is normal for a mic in, therefore I need to swith this jack from mic to line-in.

@Jerry K: It's not a matter of using the speaker output of the stereo deck. Even when using the line-out of the stereo deck this is way too much for the mic-in of the laptop.

@mjohn911: Your post is more than a year ago; did you finally solve your problem?

Does anyone know how to switch the input jack of a Realtek sound card from "microphone-in" to "line-in" characteristics???
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]