Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Microsoft microsoft kernel wave audio mixer (Windows XP Home)
I found this on another site - it worked for me.....
1. Go to Contol Panel
2. Double-click on System
3. Select the Hardware tab and them click on Device Manager
4. Click on the View menu item and then select Show Hidden Devices
5. Go to the Sound, Video and Game Controllers Group and locate the tagged Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device
6. Right-click and then choose Update Driver
7. When asked to connect to Windows Update, choose "No, not this time" and click Next.
8. When asked what you want the wizard to do, choose "Install from a list of specific location" and then click Next.
9. Insert the OS Installation CD on your CD drive.
10. When asked for the search and Installation options, choose "Don't search..." and click Next.
11. When asked to select the device driver that you want to install, highlight click on the Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device and then click Next.
12. After the driver is installed, let the OS restart for it to take effect.
By the way, the Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer driver will also be installed along with this driver.
I have done this on my Windows XP SP2 OS.
Try to verify the resolution of the device driver. If the install is successful and there is still no audio, try re-installing the specific drivers for your sound card.
Hope this helps...