DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > CPUs & Motherboards

Old 12-30-2008

Patrick Robinson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HELP NEEDED: Award Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG (Windows XP Home)

I am in need of help. In June 2008 my parents purchased an emachine w3650 at walmart. Got a discount on it, brand new, no previous owners. The machine ran fine until Sep 2008 when I managed to crash it, due to system driver of hal.dll. Was able to fix that problem after about a week of pulling my hair out and panicing. My family sees me as their tech guru, and I sometimes take it to heart and get severly upset when I cannot fix something even if it is out of my control. Ok, the new problem.
On Christmas Day December 2008 I had a screen saver of santa's workshop from freeze.com downloaded in 2005 running, but several times that week the computer locked up and would not respond to Ctrl Alt Del, the only answer seemed to be hard power off. This was the case christmas day and when I went to cold boot the machine after about 5 mins, it turned onto POST and then offered that the machine had been improperly turned off and ask how to boot the F8 options. For thr past 5 days I been using my brothers older computer to access any information to help solve my problem.
Using F* to choose Safe mode boot, the computer displays the loading of system files, up until line:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system 32\drivers\agpcpq.sys
I know that this is related to graphics card because of #agp# and to the cpu because of #cp# and not sure about #q#, but #.sys# is system. And I have further tried to boot from an XP Pro installation CD to use the repair "r" but the computer will only get the blue screen that saids "Starting windows" at the bottom and then hang forever or lockup.
References:
[url]http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic95973.html[/url]
[url]http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=105691[/url]
[url]http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic21511.html[/url]

I really do not want to format the HDD if at all possible, and I do not have a newer PC with a SATA hookup to boot the drive or make the appropriate repairs myself. Between googling and contacting an uncle for help I am about out of ideas. Now my uncle suggest that it may be onbaord video problem and disabling it and using a PCI video might fix the problem. But how to disable the onboard video in the bios escapes me.
I have gone to [url]www.emachines.com/support[/url] to find specs on the w3650 and it's motherboard which hotlink me to gateway
[url]http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006188R/4006188Rsp2.shtml[/url]

which tells me that elitegroup made the board shown here:
[url]http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?CategoryID=1&TypeID=32&DetailI D=719&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=1&LanID=9[/url]

but does not offer the user's manual anymore or is having technical diffuculy with their site because they want you to spend 50dollars for 30min of phone support. Magic phone support that I cannot afford.

So I continue to seek out the Bios manual to try Bios settings and again hit a road block with Phoenix with their AwardBIOS. My system will not show me the bios string or even make, but the guides Pheonix offers are out of date or not even related to chipset found on the board I am researching:
[url]http://www.phoenix.com/en/Customer+Services/White+Papers-Specs/Platform+System+Software+Documents/default.htm[/url]

The newest info I can find is PhoenixBIOS 4.0 - Revision 6 User's Manual which is not even for the intel 945gct-m3 chipset.

My final submission is this, Where can I find an up-to-date manual for my emachine, via tha motherboard, via the BIOS, via correct screen shots and infomation.

I am at my witts end, and this is bugging me severly. Can anyone HELP. Please.

Last edited by Patrick Robinson : 12-30-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

[url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764[/url]

A machine bought in Sept. 2008 does not need updating.

Last edited by Jerry K : 12-30-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-30-2008

Patrick Robinson is on a distinguished road

Thank for the advice, but I still have a problem. Please see previous post.

Quote myself, "In June 2008 my parents purchased an emachine w3650 at walmart." End Quote.

Quote myself, "And I have further tried to boot from an XP Pro installation CD to use the repair "r" but the computer will only get the blue screen that saids "Starting windows" at the bottom and then hang forever or lockup.'End Quote.

I would be glad to load the Recovery console, if I could even get into it. The system pretends to load the install disks drivers and appropriate setup files, but then hangs on the blue screen "Starting Windows" , then freezes.

Again I now have no access to repair options from the install disk, nor do I have any options for booting in to any type of safe mode, nor will it boot to Last Known good start, nor Normal mode.

No booting, all hanging or freezing.

Therefore I ask again with politeness and sincerity, is there a way to disable onboard motherboard video to get around the blocked segment? Agp440.sys/AGPCPQ.sys
Or is taking my HDD out of the computer, and linking it to a friend's computer with a SATA connection a better option, that perhaps his computer can do the repair work for me?? Perhaps he can perform the scandisk or chkdsk or repair option for my poor computer HDD??

Again I do appreciate the link to Microsoft explaining a possible solution, and did learn that the recovery console can be loaded to my computer for future references,
but I need an option to boot.

Please Jerry K, Is there a Santa Claus?, I sorry, Let's try it again. Is there a way fix this problem? Thank you.
Old 12-31-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

There is no need to repost information that you already posted. I read it before I responded in my first post. And I repeat to you that a pc bought in June 2008 does not need updating. It didn't need updating when it came from Wal-Mart did it? So why would it suddenly now, in December 2008 need updating?
What it needs if fixed. Skip/dismiss the R repair option and reinstall the os. When finished and if required, download the latest driver for the device using those 2 drivers from eMachines website: [url]www.e4me.com[/url]

It's a simple task but from what I'm reading, you might be better off to take it to a repair shop.

Since this is a driver request forum, I'm moving your posts to the Tech Support forum.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]