DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 2000

Old 08-23-2006

Premium Member

Artie is on a distinguished road
Default Why W2K Pro Can't but Win9x CAN ?

Stepped up the OS from MSDOS 6.2, WFWG3.11, W95, W95osr2, W95oem/usb, Win98, Win98SE, WinME, now Win 2000 Pro. My Presario 1000 Series Notebook has a builtin 336-VSC modem that works very nice with Compaq software as answering machine, etc. However, ONLY under Win9X and older OS. After upgrading to W2K the default selected modem/driver failed. I CAN select Standard 336 modem and it LOOKS good, no errors, but fails to work. I am stummped. Sure I can disable modem, use a pcmcia card but I need those slots for LAN and USB or other devices.

Why is it SO complex for "THEM" to type an INF file for exsisting POPULAR hardware currently owned by hundreds of thousands of US ?
I can only think of one reason...More cash in "THEIR" pocket's and LESS in ours. "Buy a better toy" boy...

Have any ideas on how to make W2K accept a modem it has listed in its default library (MDMLT3.INF) ? Precisely 'Compaq Presario 336-VSC Modem'

What about using a known compatable INF file for a simular modem and simply paste in the 336-vsc name and referances ? Try to FOOL it ?
Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2006

Constance is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why W2K Pro Can't but Win9x CAN ?

If there is one, you may try to replace the "$Chicago$" on the "Signature =" line of the Windows 9x's inf file with "$Windows NT$"... it might work...

Might also be bad for the stability of the system though...

Last edited by Constance : 08-24-2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-27-2006
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Why W2K Pro Can't but Win9x CAN ?

CASH in their pockets may be one reason but the main reason is technology. 33.6K modems are OLD technology (predating Windows XP)... 56K modems are modern technology (well up until about 2 years ago at least). No manufacturer is going to invest time and resources in old technology.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]