DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Modems (300-56K, ISDN, Cable, DSL, ...)

Old 02-03-2007

mssthang is on a distinguished road
Default wireless modems

i ve been tryin to dse my wireless modem now for 3 days im tryin to hook my son's computer up to my internet i have cable internet and a hawling modem model number hwr54g i founf the driver on the site but what do i do now lol
can someone plz help me so i can get my son's off my computer
tyvm erica
Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: wireless modems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssthang
i ve been tryin to dse my wireless modem ~ hawling ~ hwr54g
I'm trying to decode your term "dse" and all I can come up with is Digital Subscriber Equipment or Digital Switching Equipment or perhaps Dick Smith Electronics... however, guessing is all I can do based on your specific term.

"tryin to dse my wireless modem" just doesn't ring a bell with me nor does the terms "hawling" with respect to "hwr54g". If I had to make a guess I'd substitute the words "Hawking HWR54G" but that's not a modem, it's a Wireless-G router. A wireless router receives signals from multiple pc's using a wirless lan card or usb adapter and combines those multiple signals into a single modem. This allows multiple pc's like laptops and desktops to all connect to the internet with a single subscription. And most newer wireless routers can be hard wired via an ethernet cable in addition to the wireless feature. For example I use a wireless router with 2 pc's connected via wireless and 2 via ethernet cable. That way my entire family can access the internet and email without interfering with each other.

Wireless routers do not require a driver. They are configurable in their settings via a web brower but still do not require a driver.

I take it your wanting to configure your wireless router to work with 2 (or more) pc's and your cable modem so your son's will have their own pcs and internet connection without interupting yours. If you need help with doing that then you must provide information about what hardware your using and whether your connection from each pc is via ethernet cable or wireless adapters. If your using an ethernet cable then you must have an ethernet adapter and matching driver. If your using wireless adapters then you likewise must have a matching driver for the wireless adapter. Wireless adapters are more difficult to setup than wired adapters because of the security involved. You wouldn't want anyone with a wireless adapter installed in a laptop driving by your house and have free access to a wide- open unprotected internet connection. So the wireless hardware manufacturers design their hardware with those much needed security features.

Please read the instructions for your hardware. If you have specific questions or issues just ask and we'll try to help. However, be sure to describe your hardware using brand, model, and type of inteface along with the name/version of your operating system.
Old 02-03-2007

mssthang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wireless modems

sorry i have a wireless router and its a airlink 101 model number ar325w i have cable internet and have to use ethernet cords. upstairs in my sons computer is the wireless card how do i set it up i have lost the software and instructions.
Old 02-04-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: wireless modems

Quote:
i have cable internet and a hawling modem model number hwr54g

Quote:
i have a wireless router and its a airlink 101 model number ar325w

It appears you now have:

(2) routers, 1 is a Hawking HWR54G, 1 is a Airlink 101 model AR325W

(1) unknown wireless adapter.

Sorry but I cannot find a driver for unknown hardware. Give us a brand, model number, and your operating system..... we'll try to find a driver.

In the router, you have to enable and set it up for the wireless connection and internet security. You can probably get an instruction manual from the manufacturer. Access to most routers is gained by opening a web browser and typing the following address: 192.168.1.1. If it prompts you for username and password, the default is: admin (for administrator name) and "admin" or "password" (for the passcode or password).

On the wireless adapter, you only have to install the card physically, power up and install the driver. Then you must configure it (in the connection software) to match the settings in the router. Please remember to enable security (like WEP 64 or WEP 128) or anyone driving by your house with a laptop and wireless card can access your internet connection.

Can you tell us why you have 2 routers? I only have one and it allows me to use up to 4 pc's on the internet.
Old 03-09-2010

Fredbenjamin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wireless modems

General features to look for in wireless modems are:

Modem speed.
Protocol(s) supported: Ethernet, CPCD, GPRS, ISDN, EVDO, WiFi, etcetera.
Frequency band: 900mhz, 2.4 GHz, 5 HHz, 23 GHz, VHF and UHF.
Radio technique: direct sequence spread spectrum, or frequency hopping.
Number of channels for transmitting and receiving.
Maximum Signal Strength.
Full duplex capability vs. half-duplex (full duplex permits simultaneous transmitting/receiving for faster data transfer).
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]