DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Driver Request Forums > Sound Card Request Board

Old 06-26-2007

MrSiD is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: SigmaTel Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver (Windows XP Professional) [PCI / ISA]

Hello People.

Here is my nightmare:

I recently purchased a Notebook PC, (Dell Inspiron 1501).
I know, not the greatest choice but it was a reasonable price.

Anyhow, I ordered it with preloaded Windows Vista Home ( which was probably a huge mistake so far )...
Anyways, due to some incompatibilities with some stuff I use and Vista, I created a dual boot with a Windows XP installation.

I got everything installed just fine, all the updates, chipset drivers, WLAN, you name it, it install fine on the system. the ONLY thing that is giving me a hassle is the damn internal Sigmatel integrated audio... I try to get the updates (drivers) for the particular device from Dells website, and installed them... I then reboot and it continues the installation of the drivers and then stubbornly throws me an error message:

Configuring Sigmatel Audio Driver and Applications:

"The System does not support the driver you are attempting to install."

Confused, I went back to the Dell site, double checked it was for XP Pro and tried again. Same thing. Check many forums for help, uninstalled the device (Yellow !) in the device manager... Tried again Same thing.
I even went to DELL technical support to try to get answers. I mentioned a DUAL BOOT, and their cop-out was they don't support dual boot. Of course. Nobody gets help with their modified computers. GRRR!
But they were so kind enough to give me the LINK to the driver for XP, for that particular device. I follow the link and get the driver, and assume its probably the same damn one I got earlier. Sure enough it was. Tried to install it and sure enough, same damn problem.

I am beginning to believe there is a new "Axis of Evil" Dell, Vista, and SigmaTel.. Sigmatel doesn't have ANY support whatsoever that I seen.

I think that the device is being very PICKY as to what OS it is running on. Which really frustrates the Crap out of me.

My Inspiron is the 1501, with the AMD board with the Athlon64 X2. Although the Vista that came with it is only 32 bit. I would run Vista, but it's a crasher. It's crashed on me the first 5 minutes out of the box. So I think MS still has a lot of quirks, and developers have a lot of patch work to be doing. Until then I am sticking with XP Pro, besides it's more configurable, or I am more used to it than Vista.

My only problem is the SOUND issue.
Is there ANY HOPE!?!
Of all my experience with this sort of stuff, this one is by far a real nightmare. Especially locating a working driver. Hope someone out there knows whats going on, and could help me out with this.

Thanks everyone.

Support Information:
Device Type: Sound Card
Manufacturer: SigmaTel
Model: Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver
Interface: PCI / ISA
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Age of Device: < 2 years old
FCCID:

[url="http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=srch&sm=b&aax=&qa6=1690&qa5=19&qa 7=1500&dp=2&qm0=Sigmatel+STAC92XX+C-Major+HD+Audio+Driver&jmd=and&fzz=d"]Find it on DriverGuide[/url] | [url="http://www.google.com/custom?client=pub-4727129938051271&forid=1&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&flav=0001&sig=t06hRycrxd-fw_05&q=SigmaTel+Sound+Card++Sigmatel+STAC92XX+C-Major+HD+Audio+Driver+Windows+XP+Professional+"]Find it with Google[/url] | [url="http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=getinfo&companyid=1690"]Research manufacturer SigmaTel[/url]
Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2008

MrPodBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: SigmaTel Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver (Windows XP Pro

I had the same issue on a D630. I ended up having to manually find the kb835221 file and run it first. Looks like that managed to get the hardware recognized.
Old 09-26-2009

l05r1 is on a distinguished road
Post Re: DRIVER NEEDED: SigmaTel Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver (Windows XP Professional) [PCI / ISA]

Laptop Dell Inspiron 1501

OK i downgraded from Windows Vista to Windows XP, everything else went well but got stuck when i wanted to install the Audio driver but i kept getting the error error=this system does not support the driver you are attempting to install , so after googling for a while i stumbled upon this forum link, and it helped me solved the problem so i first of all wanted to thank MrPodBoy for the solution and then i wanted to explain a little bit in detailed on how and where i found the kb835221 file MrPodBoy was talking about in their post.

The file kb835221 is located in the [YOUR DRIVE]:\dell\drivers\R171789\HDAQFE\win2k_xp\us folder, where [YOUR DRIVE] is the media whee you extracted the R171789 driver which you can download from dell website (click o the following link).

[url]http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=3&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=XPS_M1210&hidos=WW1&hidlang =en&TabIndex=[/url]

Instructions:
1. Just run the file kb835221 BEFORE installing the SIGMATel audio driver.
2. Run the audio driver setup located at [YOUR DRIVE]:\dell\drivers\R171789

thanks for the reply MrPodBoy
peace

you can reach me at no.email.addys {a t} allowed (dot) com

Last edited by Jerry K : 09-26-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: SigmaTel Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver (Windows XP Professional) [PCI / ISA]

All HD sound chips and sound cards require the Microsoft UAA driver to be installed prior to installing the audio AND modem drivers.

That's the file kb835221 that you're referencing.
Old 12-07-2010

NA53R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: SigmaTel Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver (Windows XP Professional) [PCI / ISA]

Thanks a lot mrpodboy and l05r1

Recently I had a nightmare when my whoe system crashed and had to re install everything including OS. The only thing not working was the sound. Wasn't being able to install the Sigmatel92XX

Your suggestion worked like a magic. Keep up the good work guys.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]