DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Imaging (scanners, digital cameras, ...)

Old 05-06-2006
Nic Evans

Question Installing UMax Astra 1220P on Win XP

I was grateful to find and download the drivers (using vsp55p.exe) from this site for the above scanner but am going around in circles trying to install it in XP. I can get as far as getting XP to find the INF file and list the scanner in Device Manager but when I click for driver information it says that none is installed for this device. I have looked for dll files in the downloaded drivers (and there are lots for different products) but find that they end in .dl_ which I think means that they are compressed by the manufacturer (not zipped), and should be extracted by running vssetup.exe. When I do this it says that drivers are being installed but in that case why doesn't Device manager show any? My main question is does anyone have any similar experience of this problem - or sufficient knowledge to guide me in extracting the drivers to the correct folder in XP without running a setup file which I think was written before XP existed?
Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2006
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Installing UMax Astra 1220P on Win XP

VistaScan Version 3.55 Parallel port

[url=www.umaxtech.de/ftp/vs355p.exe]VistaScan 3.55P[/url] (24.2 MB)

Complete Installer including MagicMatch calibration profiles.
The driver is also available on the [url=www.umax.de/support/CDs/CDorderE.htm#WinD]Umax Windows archive CD[/url].
Note for Windows XP: This VistaScan version supports Windows 2000. There is no Windows XP VistaScan release. The following installation notes shows a way to use the Astra 1220P/2000P under Windows XP. This procedure was tested on various Windows XP workstations. It can't be guaranteed, that it works with all systems / configurations.

This is the only possible way to use the Astra 1220P/2000P under Windows XP.

If you encounter any connection problems try to set another parallel port (LPT) mode in the BIOS of the mainboard ( EPP 1.7 is recommended ). When there is a problem during build up of the desktop try to remove VistaAccess from the StartUp.

VistaScan 3.55P is provided on an "as is" basis. There is no support available for Windows XP.

In case, after the VistaScan installation, Windows (XP/2000) does not register the driver correctly with the device manager and the scanner gets detected as an unknown component at Windows start up, the proper entry has to be done manually. Close the Assistent dialog with the cancel button. Extract [url=www.umax.de/download/ScanPC/LPT2000.ZIP]these files[/url] into a temp folder on your hard disk. The scanner has been registered as an unknown device. Double click this entry the device manager to open the properties dialog. Click on "Driver" and then on the button "Update". Select the option "Software list..." and in the next dialog the option "Do not search...". Click on "Continue". In the list of hardware types select "Image processing devices". Click on the button "Disk" and refer to the folder in which you have just expanded the INF files. Click on "Open" and in the list select your scanner. Ignore the Windows-Logo test warning and click on "Continue"/"Finish". Now the scanner has been correctly register with the device manager and will be displayed under "Image processing devices". For screen shots illustrating the installation click [url=www.umax.de/support/2000p_xp/2000p_xp.htm]here[/url].
In case the scanner will not be detected at all, check either the printer (in case one is connected) or the settings of the parallel port in the Bios of your PC.

Patch File for Astra 1220p and VistaScan 3.51 (and older) Parallel Port Version under Windows NT
Corrects the limitation allowing only users with administrator privilages to scan. The patched version requires the privilages of a power user. Please uncompress the file into Windows directory. [url=www.umax.de/download/ScanPC/P1220_32.zip]P1220_32.zip[/url] (63 KB)

String Patch for Astra 1220p and VistaScan 3.*
Corrects the bug of a missing string (String not found) in the baloon help in VistaScan parameter dialog. Please unpack the file into Windows directory (overwriting the existing file). [url=www.umax.de/download/ScanPC/P1220_32.zip]vs30loc.zip[/url] (12 KB)

Last edited by Jerry K : 05-08-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2006
Unregistered

Default Re: Installing UMax Astra 1220P on Win XP

Thanks Jerry - but you have simply pasted the information from U-Max, which I have already found and followed.

Nic Evans
Old 05-26-2006
Super Moderator

I didn't see anything in your original post stated you had done that. Now what is the problem?
Old 10-10-2006

Notnif is on a distinguished road

I have the same scanner. i tried to install it on xp,followed the same directions,and when it did install,i tried to use it and it freezes up on me every time.now what do i do?
Old 10-10-2006
Super Moderator

Buy a new usb scanner. They are easier to install.
Old 05-24-2014

sefco is on a distinguished road

Hallo!Jerry K can you please upload again all those files you mention up there in your post that i can successfully use this Umax astra 1220p scanner?? Thanks a lot of course
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]