DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Driver Request Forums > Removable Drive Request Board

Old 08-22-2010

spiderman7895 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation DRIVER NEEDED: Seagate ST905003FAM2E1-RK (Windows XP Professional) [USB]

Does 500 GB Seagate Freeagent go required any driver in Window Xp Sp3?

Hi Members,

I have a Assembled Computer with Processor Intel Dual Core (R) @ 270 GHz, 3 GB of RAM equipped with Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition version 2005 service Pack 3 with Wi-Fi Netgear 108 Mbps Lan Card and Internal Pixelview TV Tuner Card.

I have just bought this external harddisk today from market. But My system cannot read the information on the my 500 GB Seagate Freeagent go external hard drive using the supplied USB cable. The external drive does not come up at all. Is a required driver missing out on my system? When I connect my 500 Gb Seagate Freegent go External Hard drive, it always ask for drivers and show message at last “The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.” I think that my Windows have some missing driver for this products. I have successfully running Freecom External 160 Gb Harddrive and Enter 2.5” HDD External Case without Drivers on my computer. Do I need to get a Y USB cable which have two USB cable (one additional USB cable for power consumption for this drive)? Does this drive run successful after plugging this with Y USB cable? I am running Window Xp Sp3. Does Window Xp Sp3 required external drivers for detecting 500 GB Seagate Freeagent go External Drive? I have tried this external harddisk on my Laptop too (Lenovo N100 with CPU Intel Core Solo @ 1.86 Ghz, 3 GB of RAM equipped with Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition version 2005 service Pack 3) and with my other computer which also have similar configuration and operating system as of above computer. It always show similar problem for not detecting drivers for USP Device in my Operating System.
Please help

Sukhdev Taneja

(Model of My 500 GB Seagate Freeagent go External Drive : ST905003FAM2E1-RK)

Support Information:
Device Type: Removable drive
Manufacturer: Seagate
Model: ST905003FAM2E1-RK
Interface: USB
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Age of Device: < 6 months old
FCCID:

[url="http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=srch&sm=b&aax=&qa6=925&qa5=16&qa7 =1500&dp=0.5&qm0=ST905003FAM2E1-RK&jmd=and&fzz=d"]Find it on DriverGuide[/url] | [url="http://www.google.com/custom?client=pub-4727129938051271&forid=1&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&flav=0001&sig=t06hRycrxd-fw_05&q=Seagate+Removable+drive++ST905003FAM2E1-RK+Windows+XP+Professional+"]Find it with Google[/url] | [url="http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=getinfo&companyid=925"]Research manufacturer Seagate[/url]
Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: Seagate ST905003FAM2E1-RK (Windows XP Professional) [USB]

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman7895
I have successfully running Freecom External 160 Gb Harddrive and Enter 2.5” HDD External Case without Drivers on my computer.
I don't have the slightest clue what the above sentence means so I cannot make any comment about it.

All modern external USB hard drives are plug and play in Windows XP so there is no driver needed. What is needed is a working USB port. So did you look in Device Manager to insure the USB port(s) are working properly? Did you try going to the Seagate website to see if any software was available that will make installation of the hard drive possible? I own 4 different USB drives that I built and none of them require any driver in Windows XP. By default, driver files required to install the drive are written to the hard drive during installation of the OS. Unless you have removed (or deleted) those files, then they will still be there to install the external USB drive.

You may need to try using the special "Y" cable to test to see if that will fix your problem. Especially if the hard drive does not have an external power supply. Using the "Y" cable will double the available current to the hard drive.

Since you say it also fails to work on another laptop leads me to believe you have a problem with the external hard drive. Has it ever worked? Is it new or used? Did you build it from components or was it factory made? It's also possible that your computer power supply is inadequate to power all the hardware in/on your system.

Cable length should be kept to a maximum of not over 1 meter. The USB drive should be detected and installed automatically within 5~6 seconds of plugging it into a working USB port. You should also have updated anti-virus and anti-malware software installed. If you don't then you could have some nasty preventing proper detection/installation of the USB drive.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]