What utilities? I wasn't aware that such exists. Why would you need utilities or what do you expect the utility to do for you?
Yes, formatting always deletes existing data. If you haven't done anything else to the drive, you can use a recovery software called BadCopy Pro that will recover all the data on the hard drive.
BadCopy Pro v4.10.1215
BadCopy Pro is the leading data recovery software for floppy disk, CD, DVD, memory card, Zip disk, USB flash drive and other storage media. BadCopy Pro can effectively recover and rescue corrupted or lost data from damaged, unreadable, formatted or defective disks. It works with Microsoft Windows 95/98/2000/NT/ME/XP/2003/Vista.
Some Situations Where BadCopy Pro Can Help:
* Damaged floppy disk repair and floppy data recovery.
* Damaged or defective CD data recovery including CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW.
* Damaged or defective DVD data recovery including DVD-ROM, DVD+/-R/W.
* Recovery of inaccessible data on floppy disk, CD, DVD and flash drive.
* Rescuing lost files from a floppy disk, CD and DVD and flash drive.
* CD, DVD burning problems and data loss recovery.
* Recovery of corrupted or unreadable files from CD, DVD, floppy, flash drive.
* Retrieval of data from all sessions on multi-session CD and DVD.
* Lost photo recovery for memory card used in digital camera.
* Recovery of files deleted or formatted from floppy disk and USB flash drive.
* Data recovery on UDF and packet-writing disks. Supports DirectCD and InCD.
* Recovery of data on Iomega Zip disk, Jaz, MO disk, and USB external drive.
Using BadCopy Pro is safe and risk-free. The software does not write data to your original disks, but saves the recovered data to a new folder that you specify.