DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Displays (graphics/video cards, monitors, cables, ...)

Old 11-15-2004
Unregistered

Default GeForce 4 MX 460 vcard screen messes up in Win XP

Hello, I have a problem with my Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 460 video card ever since I installed Windows XP Pro. I had Windows 98 before and this problem never happened. I did not upgrade my comptuer or antyhing...

At random times when I'm using the computer, the screen all of a sudden freezes for like 3-4 seconds and then the resolution changes back to 800x600 and the color becomes messed up (like it's reverted to 256colors or something).
I am forced to restart the computer because I can't bear the resolution and it does not allow me to reset it in Display Properties. But once I restart the computer, the settings become normal.

The problem happens at random times, but more so when there's a lot of things on the screen. Ocassionally, the problem comes up when I'm not doing anything on the computer as well.

I have updated the video card's drivers, but it seems the more I update, the worst it gets.

Please help! Any suggestions is appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2004
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Try rolling back the driver.....

Roll Back to the Previous Version of a Driver (Windows XP)
Have you ever installed a device driver that makes your system unstable? In Windows XP you can roll back such a change if it causes you problems. To go back to the previous driver for a device:
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools.
Double-click Computer Management, and then click Device Manager in the left pane.
Right-click the device for which you'd like to roll back the drivers, and then click Properties.
On Driver tab of the Properties dialog box, click Roll Back Driver, and follow the wizard's instructions.
It's that simple, although you need to be an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

Additional Windows XP troubleshooting links:

[url=support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314854]How to: Determine Which Video Driver Is Loading in Windows XP[/url]

[url=support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292460]HOW TO: Troubleshoot the Video Adapter Driver in Safe Mode in Windows XP[/url]

[url=support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306084]HOW TO: Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in Windows XP[/url]

[url=support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304449]HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in Windows XP[/url]

[url=support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302796]
Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP[/url]

[url=support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310405]How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP[/url]

[url=support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308041]Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP[/url]

[url=support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315222]A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP[/url]

[url=support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310575]General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP[/url]

[url=www.tipsdr.com/windows-xp-tips-2.html]Windows XP tips[/url]
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]