DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Other Hardware

Old 07-10-2006

BillyCrook is on a distinguished road
Default HugePine USB-to-Serial adapter

The 'driver' on the cd that it came with was just an exe file, which could not be extracted with winrar or winzip. It works on win 2000, but I need a driver for using this with windows server 2003. I'm giving up. Without it, I can't reconfigure a ups to use it's new, larger batteries, and it might just explode, and kill me, but getting a nice life insurance policy will be easier than finding these drivers. If by chance, anyone out there knows what to do, please reply here for the group and/or drop me a line by emailing my noemailaddys@allowed.com account, BillyCrook. Anyone smart enough to be here should know how to reorder that, and where to put the @ sign.

Thanks!
--Billy

Last edited by Jerry K : 07-10-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2006
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: HugePine USB-to-Serial adapter

Why don't you try double-clicking the exe file or run it from the RUN command line. That's the normal way to install an exe file. ZIP and RAR are usually used to extract zip or rar files (even tho WinRAR has the ability to extract files from an exe format file).
Old 10-19-2006

Default Re: HugePine USB-to-Serial adapter

Well, EXE files are NOT drivers. I don't trust an EXE file to just install a driver. One of the few things Windows works well at is installing drivers. You give windows the INF file, and Windows does the rest. An EXE file is not the proper way to install drivers.

....That was the main reason not to use the EXE file. If that's not good enough, here is the ancillary reason...

The "EXE file driver installer" detects the operating system, and exits if it sees Windows Server 2003. Even though 2003 can work just fine with most 2000 or XP drivers, the EXE file thinks it knows better, and makes a nuisance of itself in the process.

On the plus side, the UPS hasn't exploded yet. It's 200 amps of new batteries are doing pretty good so far.

P.S. Since DG censored my email address, I thought I'd mention my address is my user-name here AT idon'tgetit.com. I already get so much spam I don't care anymore. BRING IT ON!!

Last edited by Jerry K : 10-19-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2007

NMontenegro is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: HugePine USB-to-Serial adapter

Hello, U can use this software to extract the .exe files, it doesn´t work all the time, but i can say It works 80%... Not so bad..And it´s Freeware.
Universal Extractor Current Version: 1.5, Released: 02/22/2007

[url]http://uniextract.c1pher.com/uniextract15.exe[/url]

I Hope It helps you.
Old 10-31-2007
Super Moderator

remember, he said he didn't trust exe files.
Old 11-04-2007

Well, I fixed the problem. I just installed GNU, replacing Windows. It automatically deteted the device. I use i.still.dont.get.it. My username there is in posts above. It appears that the driverguide site is manually censored. If that is the case, then this message is to the sensor. I'm glad I'm wasting your time. Oh yeah, and I blocked your ads too :-) Perish.

A program that 'pulls' the drivers out, like NMontenegro was insinuating, might have sufficed. If on the other hand it would just have done the same thing that any other extractor would, then nevermind. The "installer" was deciding for itself not to install. I do not believe a driver has the right to tell the user that it doesn't feel like installing because of the version of the OS you use.

In the end, I learned my lesson, and moved to GNU/Linux. Users get alot more respect there. There are much better driver support forums, and you can make drivers do whatever you want, as they're usually avaliable in source form.

Last edited by Jerry K : 11-04-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2007
Super Moderator

Dell is a perfect example of a company forcing EXE drivers (or files, as you call them) on Dell owners. But I suppose they can do what they wish since they own their company. It's good to live in a country where you have the right to disagree... but where does disagreement get you? usually in a war of some sort. But it's also nice to be able to choose what pc brand I wish to own as well as the operating system I wish to run on it. Some folks like Chevys while others prefer Cadillacs (or Mercedes). Personally I like Ford and Windows.

another lesson I learned a long time ago.... GNU/Linux users don't get much respect from Windows support forum members. I suppose the vice-versa could also apply. You sound like a happy Linux user so I hope you find a Linux forum that treats you well.

good guess on the manual censorship. "edited by" should have been the first clue.

Last edited by Jerry K : 11-04-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]