DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Audio & Multimedia

Old 05-14-2004
Unregistered

Question problem with sound card (realtek ac97)

Hello,

I have installed the realtek 82801 AA AC97 sound card on my win98 (from this site), and although the system acknowledges the driver , it is not working properly. Some sounds (such as clicking sounds) I can hear, but most audio I can not. Also, there is alot of static and noises. Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?
please post here or send me email:
Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2004
Unregistered

hey iv got the same problem although it will only go crackly when im playing DVDs, it wil play fine for a few minutes then will go all crappy. music plays fine. The only thing is im on Windows XP. its strange. i have tried everything. If you find anything that works can you please let me know at.
Old 06-16-2004
Unregistered

I have realtek ac97 audio instaled on my cpu, and my audio, the sound effects and voice sound very strange, like it is in a very large room or something, if anyone has any idea please dont hesitate to email me at

thank you!
Old 06-25-2004
Mike Gambit

First you need to solve your driver problem.
Realtek offers two different drivers for Win98. One driver is for 95/98,
The second is for win98SE. make sure you have the correct driver for your
O/S. After finding and downloading the correct driver. goto your device manager and click on the device's properties, then click reinstall driver.
instead of letting Windows search for a suitable driver, browse to the downloaded driver and then install the driver.
As far as the noises, check what version of DirectX is on your PC. DirectX 8
or later is required for your sound card.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2004
Dan

Default Realtek ac'97

i have the same sort of problem with mine. i can play music, dvds and stuff but if i try playing a computer game it plays for a while and then cuts out. i think it cant handle all the sounds because when i was playing Vietcong (bloody good game) it was fine until helicopters, gun fights and sound effects play at the same time. im in the middle of downloading an update so i hope it works.

Dan
Old 08-05-2004
Unregistered

Exclamation realtek AC97 on CY27 Laptop

I've installed the sound card drivers tried new and old ones but the problem is that it's under device manager fine with no errors but when I go to control panel sounds it says that there's no device there under audio but under devices it's there.. any ideas....I've just recently reinstalled XP but I've used the same drivers before but now it doesn't work any ideas
Old 08-05-2004
Unregistered

idea AC97 CODEC vs. Sound controller drivers

Realtek AC'97 Audio CODECs are not sound card controller drivers.
AC 97 Sound CODECs work with "software" sound controllers built into motherboards or the motherboards South Bridge chipset..
You need a driver for the AC97 (software) sound controller built into the South Bridge chipset that will be the bridge between the controller and the AC97 CODEC. .
[url]http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/c/codec.html[/url]
Short for compressor/decompressor, a codec is any technology for compressing and decompressing data
Software sound cards also use AC97 CODECs

Realtek purchased [url]http://www.avance.com[/url] who made sound chips for sound cards. Software sound cards that use AC97 CODECs.
AC97 CODECs are specific to the sound solution (chipset) built into the MB chipsets or the sound card.
Realtek sound controller use Realtak AC97 CODECs.

Avance Logic, Inc. sound chips (ALS; Avance Logic Sound) now Realtek driver download here;
[url]http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-1.aspx?lineid=8[/url]
Note; sound chips made "after" the Avance Logic purchase are marked RTLXXXX

Realtek AC'97 Audio CODEC download here;
[url]http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-1.aspx[/url]
Realtek FAQ;
[url]http://www.realtek.com.tw/faqs/faqs1-1-1.aspx?faqcatid=2002091[/url]
There are two major components for AC'97 sound cards: AC'97 CODEC and audio controller. Realtek is an AC'97 CODEC manufacturer (software). The most important part of an AC'97 sound card is the audio controller in the chipsets, provided by the chipset vendor.

In fact, the AC'97 audio CODEC is a standard CODEC for Realtek audio controllers. The most important part is the audio controller driver which is provided by South Bridge chipset vendors. We are an AC'97 audio CODEC vendor, not a South Bridge chipset vendor. AC'97 audio CODEC drivers are varied for different audio controllers. But if the audio controller is the same brand, the same drivers can be used for most AC'97 audio CODECs. If you can find drivers for your audio controller for the other OSes, they can usually be used with Realtek AC'97 CODECs.

Older Realtek (Avance Logic) and Intel AC97 drivers;
[url]http://www.helpdrivers.com/ingles/listado/panel.asp?marca=Realtek&perif=sonidos[/url]

Note; the latest AC97 CODEC from Realtek requires DIRECTX 8.0 or above.

Sound delay; VXD driver verses WDM* driver;

We offer two different types of audio drivers for MS Windows OSes. The WDM driver is for Win98SE or later versions and the VXD driver is for Win98/95. Recommended by MS, the WDM driver had better not be used on Win98. That is why we normally use the VXD driver for Win98 (4.10.1998). If you don't encounter any problems using the WDM driver with Win98, you can keep on with it.

For some reasons, we do not support DirectSound directly in the VXD driver. We just have the DirectSound software emulation layer do it for us. I think that is why you have delay in sounds in DirectSound games. We suggest you to upgrade your OS to Win98SE or later versions. Our WDM driver has more powerful features, such as EAX support, and it will support DirectSound better than the VXD driver

Use the Intel chipset ID program to get the correct sound driver for your Intel board with integrated sound.
[url]http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/sb/CS-009266.htm[/url]
Avance Logic AC97 sound built into older Intel chipsets; Infomation here;
[url]http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009244.htm[/url]
AC'97 codec
Audio components integrated into Intel® chipsets consists of 2 components - an Audio Codec '97 (AC'97) digital controller, which is built into the I/O Controller Hub (ICH) of the chipset, and a AC'97 codec, which is the analog component of the architecture. AC'97 defines a high-quality, 16- or 20-bit audio architecture for the PC that is used in the majority of today's desktop platforms.

AC'97 Audio Drivers and Software
Due to the variety of different AC'97 codecs that are available, Intel does not offer AC'97 reference audio drivers for public download. Please refer to the system or motherboard manufacturer for any driver downloads or updates. If you have an Intel motherboard, please refer to the motherboard support site to determine which audio component is used on your motherboard.

* All WDM drivers are designed to work with ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) enabled motherboards and Operating Systems.
Closed Thread [Upload Driver/Firmware]