DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Displays (graphics/video cards, monitors, cables, ...)

Old 11-01-2012

x_cristy_x is on a distinguished road
Default Gf 9600GT problem

Hello,

I have an older computer with a MSI K8N Neo4-F with a A64 3000+ processor, 2.25 GB RAM, and a GF 6200TC PCI-E video Card. A few days ago a friend upgraded and gave me his GF 9600GT video card.

The problem is that the card freezes my PC after bootup, or if I have luck a few minutes afteri start working on the PC. I tried reinstalling Windows, it freezes in setup. I tried lowering clock speeds on the card, same problem. The card is powered by a separate PSU from the rest of the computer.

I tried it on a MSI K9VGM-V Mainboard. WIth it i managed to install Windows and the video card freezes a lot more rarely and only when the computer is on load (it's like it would wait for data from the CPU and Memory but it doesn't receive it - PCI-E too slow for the card).

The questions are:

1. Howcome it freezes more rarely on this MB?
2. Since this MB is not mine i wonder if lowering the clock speeds on the card and increasing the PCI-E clock on the K8N NEO4-F would help me because i think the PCI-E port is too slow for this card. Could it be? I heard that increasing the PCI-E clock speed can harm the other components so that is why i'm asking before trying it out.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2012
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Gf 9600GT problem

It sounds like the motherboard you're using does not meet the hardware requirement of the video card. Find the documentation that came with the video card and read it to see if your motherboard meets the hardware requirements. That info is also usually written on the outside of the video card box.

Here's the url to the specs for the GT 9600 video chipset: [url]http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-9600-gt/specifications[/url]

Last edited by Jerry K : 11-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2012

x_cristy_x is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gf 9600GT problem

Since i've opened this thread i lowered the clock speeds of the video card a little bit. And by lowering them i observed that it doesn't freeze the mouse cursor as it did initially. I think lowering the memory speed to ddr2 speed would help. I'd also like to ask if the GPU core speed can be set higher than the memory speed? Would this cause instability? What about the shaders clock? Can it be set to the stock value of 1625 MHz with the GPU set to 450 Mhz (of 650) and the Memory clock set to 500 MHz (of 900)?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2012
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Gf 9600GT problem

The only way to know would be to find specs on the cpu and read them. I included a link in an earlier post with the cpu specs. Or just try the settings you want .... it won't hurt anything if it's wrong. Just remember your initial settings so you can always set it back to the default settings you currently have.
Old 11-22-2012

willtx56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gf 9600GT problem

Back in the day i used that board in a few builds, I remember using a 9600GT, 9500GT X1900XT (ATI Based), and they all worked fine. Perhaps it's your power supply not providing quite enough juice. You would need roughly 400+ Watts with at least 25-35 AMPS on the+12v specs.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]