DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Displays (graphics/video cards, monitors, cables, ...)

Old 06-09-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: ATI Control Panel Problem

Check in the i386 folder on the install disk to see if this file exists:

DRIVER.CAB
Size: 74,902 KB.
Date: 8/23/2001, 7:00 AM

If it's there, then that's the file containing all native hardware drivers included with the OS. During installation of the OS, this file is accessed automatically when the install process see's a hardware device.... it checks the cab file to see if the driver required is present. If it isn't, then that's when it makes a yellow icon in Device Manager and calls it an unknown device. In that case, a driver is needed from an external source.

SFC.EX_ is also in the same folder in compressed format. During installation, it's extracted into SFC.EXE and written to the hard drive automatically by the install program.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2010

LS-208 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ATI Control Panel Problem

Jerry, Neither the recovery disk nor the XP disk I have were the correct disk. It wouldn't be an issue but the recovery disk that come with the laptop will not load windows properly for whatever reason. I am so lost. I have all the drivers and have installed all the drivers I know to install. Now I have no idea what to do from here.

What is an AGP Driver and could this be the problem?

Last edited by LS-208 : 06-09-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2010
Super Moderator

You will have to obtain the correct disk for your laptop. Anything other than the correct disk will not install properly on a laptop. Laptops require specific drivers from the laptop maker as generic drivers will fail install. This is a trait common to every laptop made (unlike Desktops, which can use generic drivers).

I suppose an AGP driver is the driver that enables the AGP video card slot (except I didn't know that laptops had an AGP slot).

A laptop without the recovery disk that came packaged with the laptop is worthless.
Old 06-10-2010

I have the recovery disk that came with it. It has 2 and I have them both. Do you think it failed because I used the Windows disk to install windows on here? I installed the ATI catalyst, which in my understanding replaced the ATI control panel a while back. It installed without error. Now I still cannot adjust the display size to fit the screen.
Old 06-10-2010
Super Moderator

Yes, you're asking for trouble when you don't use the recovery disk made for and shipped with the laptop. Using a non-laptop specific install disk will cause nothing but trouble.

Again, laptops require specific drivers from the laptop maker. I've never used a non-laptop specific disk to install Windows or drivers but I know lots of people who have tried.... and failed.
Old 06-10-2010

Why will my recovery disks not load windows? that is why I have not been able to use them to revert back to factory settings.
Old 06-10-2010
Super Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by "load". Do you mean "install" instead? Load means to start up a program or driver.

You must have a setup.exe file dated 8/4/2004, 12:56 AM, with 1,284 kb. size, posted in the the root folder of the XP install disk.

Then there must exist a sub-folder called i386. The i386 folder is where all the os files come from.

If you need a XP install disk, check out this site: [url]www.thehotzone.org[/url] (registration is required and free)
You might even find one for your exact Sony laptop model (look in the Windows Operating Systems forum).

Note: I don't normally support (or promote) warez sites but it sounds like you are a legal owner so you should be able to download the os disk (if yours is defective). And it's an honest/clean site to download from.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]