DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Displays (graphics/video cards, monitors, cables, ...)

Old 06-06-2010

LS-208 is on a distinguished road
Question ATI Control Panel Problem

Hey Guys.
I am new to the forum so I hope I am in the correct room for this. I f I am not, I do apologize. I currently own a Sony Vaio VGN-S260. I started getting an error message on start up that tells me the ATI controller is not installed or is installed incorrectly. In an effort to fix the problem I have run the recovery disk 3 times with no luck. I then bought a new hard drive and still the same problem. My display does not fit the screen. I went to the ATI website and downloaded the catalyst and the driver from there and it still did not correct the problem. Can any of you help me with this in trying to resolve it? I would greatly appreciate any help you might offer. Thanks a bunch.

P.S. I also wanted to mention that in the device manager, it shows VGA driver with a big yellow question mark beside it.

Last edited by LS-208 : 06-06-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: ATI Control Panel Problem

For some unknown reason, the ATI video driver did not install properly. Install the driver listed below and your problems should be over:

Original - ATI® Mobility Radeon™ 9700/9200 Graphics Controller Driver

For the Sony Vaio VGN-S260 Notebook

Filename: ATDVID-00610808-US.EXE
File size: 19.92 MB.
File date: 10/18/2004
Version: 6.14.10.6430d

This utility installs the ATI® Mobility Radeon™ 9700/9200 graphics controller Driver (for Windows XP).

Download links:

[url]http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1716630[/url]
or
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/396011869/ATDVID-00610808-US.EXE

--> Important Notes <--
* During the installation of this file, be sure that you are logged in as the Administrator or as a user with Administrative rights.
* To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs.
* The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
* It is highly recommended to print out these instructions as a reference during the installation process.

--> Download and Installation Instructions <--
1. Download the ATDVID-00610808-US.EXE file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
2. Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double click the ATDVID-00610808-US.EXE file to begin the installation.
3. At the "ATI® Mobility Radeon 9700/9200 Graphics Controller Driver for Microsoft® Windows® XP Setup" screen, click Next.
4. At the "License Agreement" dialog box, read the agreement, then, if you agree, click "I Agree". Several setup boxes may briefly appear during the installation. As the files are installed, these boxes will close automatically.
5. At the "Setup Complete" screen, select "Yes, I want to restart my computer now.", then click Finish to restart the computer.
6. After the computer restarts, the installation of the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700/9200 Graphics Controller Driver is complete.

The next time, please use our Driver Request Forum. It contains a form that you fill out that tells us important info like what OS your using. I'm assuming your OS is Windows XP. If it's different, you need to let me know.
Old 06-06-2010

Default Re: ATI Control Panel Problem

Thanks Jerry, but unfortunately this did not fix the problem. on restart i got a message that said "Sorry for any inconvinience but Windows encountered a problem and was unable to start. After going through the steps twice I had to just use the option that said "restart using last good configuration" since I could not choose the "Start windows normally" option. If I chose it, the computer would keep restarting and giving me that message. I went into safe mode and tried to troubleshoot without any success. I am at a loss because I have no idea what to do from here about this issue. Any more suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2010
Super Moderator

It sounds like your operating system is faulty or you have a flaky motherboard.

Try running SFC /SCANNOW from a command prompt. System File Checker. Make sure there is a space between C and /. Insert the Windows OS install disk into the optical drive before running the command. Do not interrupt the process until it finishes.

If the system has bad or corrupt system files, this procedure will freshen those corrupt files with good copies. You won't loose anything by doing this.

The file that I uploaded came straight from the Sony website. It it for that notebook and it WILL work, you just have to figure out how to make it work. However, if the os isn't running properly, no driver will install properly.

Notebooks cannot use generic drivers so the driver you installed (or attempted to install) from ATI will fail install. You must use the driver from the laptop maker.

Last edited by Jerry K : 06-06-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2010

Thanks again Jerry. I do not have a copy of XP. All I have is a copy of XP lite. The original OS is on the recovery disk. I used XP lite and downloaded all the drivers from Sony.com. This got my laptop up and operational and no problems except for the graphics issue. Which disk do I need to put in to start this process? Will the recovery disk work eventhough I did not install Windows with it? I tried going in in safe mode and reinstalling ATI but it said Directx 8 was not installed and could not complete the driver install. I downloaded and installed Dirext X 8 and still got the same error message. Does this mean anything or should the procedure you suggested fix that too?

Thank you so much for your time.
Old 06-08-2010
Super Moderator

You need to insert the disk that contains the Windows XP install files. If you insert the wrong disk, the system will tell you so and prompt you to keep inserting disks until the correct disk is inserted.

What is Windows XP Lite? Is that a legal disk sold by Microsoft or one from a warez site?

DirectX is installed automatically during the Windows XP installation. It does not need to be installed separately.

Again, you need a Windows XP OS that's installed and running properly before attempting to install any driver.
Old 06-08-2010

That is a disk that I got from the computer repair shop owner. It is XP without any drivers.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]