DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Displays (graphics/video cards, monitors, cables, ...)

Old 09-20-2009

BarrySamuels is on a distinguished road
Default Matrox drivers won't install

I'm having a problem in trying to install Maxtrox drivers in Windows 95.

My wife's computer came originally with Windows 95 and soon after we added Linux and a dual boot option. We started to have trouble with Windows 95 which we couldn't cure so she used Linux most of the time. Later she wanted to run an application which wasn't available under Linux so I tried upgrading Windows 95 to 98. This still gave trouble so we just forgot about it.

Now I'm trying again. I've re-installed Windows 95 over 98 overwriting any existing files with the same name to avoid ending up with a mixture. I had to apply the AMD K6 patch to get Windows 95 to run but it now appears to be working without problems.

I wanted to add Matrox drivers for the G400 AGP graphics adapter (which works perfectly under Linux and used to work under Windows 95) so I used the CD that came originally with the adapter. The drivers on this were version 525. The installation programme asked me to choose language (English), then the adapter from a list of one (G400 Dual Head) and then to click 'Continue'. Within a fraction of a second I had a message saying 'Files have been copied' although it hadn't apparently done anything and to click 'Finish'.

Looking on the computer showed that it had actually not copied anything.

I downloaded the latest drivers from Matrox, version 623, and tried again with exactly the same results. Searching the registry revealed one addition:

Matrox
PowerDesk
Version6
CurretSettings

There were no error messages at any time.

I would prefer not to wipe everything and re-install. Can anyone help with this problem please?
Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Matrox drivers won't install

What did you do to install the Windows 95 driver? ie: by launching setup.exe, xxxx.inf by using add new hardware, other? Did you install with a clean system, ie: no Matrox driver installed?
Old 09-21-2009

BarrySamuels is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Matrox drivers won't install

I decided that, in the long term, it would be safer to wipe the partition and do a clean install which is what I have done.

Everything is now working properly and the Matrox drivers have installed without problems.

Many thanks for trying to help.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]