DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > For Techs Only > Tech-to-Tech

Old 02-17-2005
JohnWalker

Thumbs up The USB / Parallel Printer Driver Problem

Yet again, I've had someone call me up "My USB printer won't work". Only to discover that it is one of those Epson USB or Parallel printers (you can use either connection - it comes with both). It appears that whilst running the setup CD the printer defaults to a parallel printer and installs itself via the parallel port as LPT1, and is oblivious to the USB connection and lead plugged into the PC.

Try as you may - you will not be able to change the port over from LPT1 to USB in the printer properties - for the simple reason that the option is missing.

If you ever come across this poser - there's an easy resolution. Remove all traces of the printer from the PC (no need to go into the registry or anything - just remove printer in 'Settings', 'Printers' - that's all).

Reboot and go into the BIOS, and disable the parallel port. Fresh boot, and then run the printer CD - it has no choice but to pick up the USB and install itself as a USB printer. Reboot, back into the BIOS and enable Parallel port back etc.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2005
tlcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWalker
Yet again, I've had someone call me up "My USB printer won't work". Only to discover that it is one of those Epson USB or Parallel printers (you can use either connection - it comes with both). It appears that whilst running the setup CD the printer defaults to a parallel printer and installs itself via the parallel port as LPT1, and is oblivious to the USB connection and lead plugged into the PC.

Try as you may - you will not be able to change the port over from LPT1 to USB in the printer properties - for the simple reason that the option is missing.

If you ever come across this poser - there's an easy resolution. Remove all traces of the printer from the PC (no need to go into the registry or anything - just remove printer in 'Settings', 'Printers' - that's all).

Reboot and go into the BIOS, and disable the parallel port. Fresh boot, and then run the printer CD - it has no choice but to pick up the USB and install itself as a USB printer. Reboot, back into the BIOS and enable Parallel port back etc.

Or why not just remove the printer and watch what you're doing when you install. When it comes to the port to install it on.... AND THEY ALL COME TO THAT OPTION DURING INSTALL, do NOT click next while LPT1 is highlighted, instead create the new USB port and finish your install. No need for them to have to go into the bios and disable anything. Do we really want to be telling end users to mess around in the bios?
Old 02-21-2005
biosboss

Question USB/Parallel

I never had the CD, I downloaded the driver from Epson including the software. Installed on lpt1 and no problem.
Than I downloaded the USB driver, just a small patch. Followed instructions to remove any USB mentioned by the previous installation, installed it, rebooted, changed cables to USB and eOK, no problemo amigo, what's the big deal?
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]