DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 98

Old 10-04-2004
Unregistered

Default Driver/Communication Problem

Hi,

I have been havin an annoying little problem lately. I've gathered some info on it and put posts in other forums (which I learned a lot about this problem in but it's still not fixed) and from what I've gathered I guess the problem is something to do with the drivers (a communications problem). I didn't know much about drivers until I ran into this problem. Sorry this is such a big description of the problem (it seems pretty complex to me) but I've included as much info as possible, if nothing works the next stop is a computer shop (ongoing problem, didn't have much more hope until I found this site on driver info).
I have a Lexmark X75 all in one center, it used to work (I was able to print, scan and copy) however I ran out of ink and didn't use it for a while. I had problems with my computer (something happened with the registry, I had to reinstall a few things but it is working fine now, except for this problem). I got a new ink cartridge, went to use the X75 and it didn't work. I had to reinstall it and now I am only able to print, unable to scan or copy. When I push the scan or copy buttons from the machine itself nothing happens (doesn't make a noise, light up, etc...) and when I go to the all in one center and select scan or copy I get this error:

"Scan Was Not Successful
Try these solutions:
-Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable
-Disconnect and reconnect the All-In-One's power cable
-Restart your computer"

The option is to close the msg. I have followed the above instructions, uninstalled and reinstalled it numerous times, I have also spoken with Lexmark support and they determined the problem to be something we found in the device mgr (running win98 - my computer/properties).
Under "other devices" there is PCI Universal Serial BUS with a yellow exclamation point next to it, they advised that the exclamation mark is not supposed to be there and there is some sort of communications problem and that's why it doesn't work. When I select properties for PCI Universal Serial BUS "Device status" shows this: "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver". When I select "reinstall driver" it does not work (it shows Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device).
There is also a yellow exclamation point under "Hard disk controllers" - Primary IDE controller (dual fifo). Device status shows this: "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10). Try upgrading the device drivers for this device". When I select "Update Driver " it advises the best driver Windows found is already installed for this device. Location (C:/windows/inf/mshdc.inf). The computer is pretty old (Pentium II) and I am not sure what type the motherboard is. I tried looking at it but the only thing I noticed was a white sticker with STD9641274 on it (not sure if it means anything or not).

Also downloaded "DriverGuide Toolkit 1.1" from the driver guide site and here are the results if this gives any addtl info to anyone:
DriverGuide Toolkit 1.1 - Unknown devices: (two devices found)
1st Device:
"Device - uPD720100A USB 2.0 EHCI Controller (Version2.0)
Vendor - NEC Electronics Hong Kong
SubSystem - USB 2.0 EHCI Controller
SubSystem Vendor (OEM) - NEC Electronics Hong Kong"

Search driver for selected device:
I downloaded this "via224whql.zip" but it didn't work, I got msg during setup: Severe: Unable to USB device ID.

2nd Device:
"Device - LexmarkLexmark All In One <GUID value>
Vendor - <Unknown - Try Advanced ID>
SubSystem - same as above"

Here is what I get when I select Advanced ID:
"Hardware ID Derived Info
Device id: USBPRINT\LEXMARKLEXMARK_ALL_I7DED
Bus: n/a
Vendor: n/a
Device: n/a"

There is no driver for win 98 when I select "search driver for selected drive".

I was just wondering if anyone could provide any info on how to get this fixed so the scan and copy options on the Lexmark X75 will work, it feels like I've tried everything, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2005
mosh

Howdy.

Do you have Win98 without Second Edition? ? If so, I'll suggest that you upgrade to Win98SE. Plain Win98 can't handle USB properly. Sometimes it works, but I didn't get it to work with MS Force-Feedback -wheel.

If you have Win98 second edition, then I'am sorry that I can't help . Waite for real gurus in that case.

mosh
Old 03-08-2005
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea fix the pc problem first....

First thing is to disconnect the usb printer... then uninstall all Lexmark related software using the appropriate uninstall program or using the ADD/REMOVE icon in Control Panel.

After the software is removed, attempt to fix your ide controller and usb problems before even attempting to install the Lexmark X75. I suggest you try removing all flagged devices by right clicking each, then left clicking uninstall (or delete). Once the flagged devices are removed, then reboot the pc and allow Windows to redetect and install those devices. Detecting and installation of support should occur automatically during bootup without user intervention. After reboot, go back into device manager and recheck to see if the ide ports and usb ports were detected and installed properly. Only when they are working, then install the Lexmark driver software (without the printer connected). Once the software/driver installation is finished, reboot and plug the printer into a usb port... follow on-screen prompts til finished. If you still have problems, post back here with the results.
Old 11-14-2011

lee9 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Driver/Communication Problem

I had this exact "won't scan but will print" problem on Windows XP, and it also occured after I reformatted my hard drive. I did not have any exclamation marks in my Device Manager. Lexmark phone support was FANTASTIC about talking me through it. The problem was with my Avast antivirus, and I had to create exceptions to allow the necessary files to run.

In the Avast software, I went to Settings->Exclusions, and selected the folders which contained the Lexmark software. I have the following selections:

C:\Program Files\Lexmark 3400 Series\*
C:\Program Files\Lexmark Toolbar\*
C:\Program Files\lx_cats\*
C:\drivers\printer\3400\*
He suggested I make exceptions for the fax software and ABBY reader also, but I uninstalled those.

Now everything works. Hope that helps!

Last edited by lee9 : 11-15-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]