DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows Vista

Old 07-17-2010

r.bartlett is on a distinguished road
Default hangs at windows32\drivers\rysolv.sys

hi guy's

no updates or no changes but suddenly on a restart it gets to this and stops

windows failed to load because of a missing or corrupt critical driver

tried running the windows disk and start up repair but it comes back that it can't repair

I have slaved the HDD to another on my PC which means I can boot to my old HDD and view the files etc.

I have scanned it and found it here: windows\system32\drivers

I note that when I hover over all the other .sys in the folder it tells me what it's for but this one only says "created 28/05/10 14.55 size 754kb" which is why I guess it comes up as corrupted

Is there a way I can edit the corrupt driver and try again ??

or
What would happen if I just deleted it and tried a re-boot without it?

Thanks

Richard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: hangs at windows32\drivers\rysolv.sys

Is it a Windows system file or does it belong to some other program?

If it's a MS Windows system file, you can use the "expand" command to get a copy from the install disk (providing the copy on the install disk is good). There are other ways to deal with this problem but they all require a proper running Windows OS (and if I read your post correctly, you don't).

Other than reinstalling the OS, I have no other solutions. You can just overwrite the existing install without loosing any programs, email, photos, MP3's, etc. But you may have to run Windows Update again until it tells you there are no more updates available.

Or if you are able to boot to a command prompt, you can use "SFC /scannow" to replace corrupt or missing files.
SFC = System File Checker

Note: Install disk must be inserted into the optical drive prior to running the command.

If it hangs during bootup, then this statement cannot be true: "I have slaved the HDD to another on my PC which means I can boot to my old HDD"

You may be able to "READ" the files on the drive but a slave drive will never "boot" a computer. Only a Master drive can boot the pc.

I noticed you have an identical thread running at: [url]http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/280894-hangs-windows32-drivers-rysolv-sys.html[/url]

Is that what your os is, ie: Vista x64? It's always a good idea to mention that when asking for help and to also give full information about the corrupt file.
Old 07-17-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: hangs at windows32\drivers\rysolv.sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.bartlett
~ What would happen if I just deleted it and tried a re-boot without it?

Thanks

Richard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will get an error message at bootup stating the file is missing.
Old 07-18-2010

r.bartlett is on a distinguished road
Default Re: hangs at windows32\drivers\rysolv.sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry K
Is it a Windows system file or does it belong to some other program?

If it's a MS Windows system file, you can use the "expand" command to get a copy from the install disk (providing the copy on the install disk is good). There are other ways to deal with this problem but they all require a proper running Windows OS (and if I read your post correctly, you don't).

Jerry many thanks for the reply

I have no idea if it's windows related or not. I don't know which program I can use to open it. I tried notepad but that is just jumbled up and unreadable. all my google searches don't find anything. This leads me to believe/guess it's a non microsoft driver???

Quote:
Other than reinstalling the OS, I have no other solutions. You can just overwrite the existing install without loosing any programs, email, photos, MP3's, etc. But you may have to run Windows Update again until it tells you there are no more updates available.

I am more than happy to re-install as long as it just overwrites. I don't want to have to re-install everything..if that's possible..

Quote:
Or if you are able to boot to a command prompt, you can use "SFC /scannow" to replace corrupt or missing files.
SFC = System File Checker

I have tried windows vista repair options but none work.. I can re-boot to the faulty drive and see if I can get a C: then try the checker

Note: Install disk must be inserted into the optical drive prior to running the command.

Quote:
If it hangs during bootup, then this statement cannot be true: "I have slaved the HDD to another on my PC which means I can boot to my old HDD"

You may be able to "READ" the files on the drive but a slave drive will never "boot" a computer. Only a Master drive can boot the pc.

Yes of course that's what is happening. I can read the files from the HDD once I re-configure the PC to run from this HDD (my old HDD which is kept in the PC as a 'spare')

Quote:
I noticed you have an identical thread running at: [url]http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/280894-hangs-windows32-drivers-rysolv-sys.html[/url]

Is that what your os is, ie: Vista x64? It's always a good idea to mention that when asking for help and to also give full information about the corrupt file.

Yes it is VISTA Unfortunately I posted in the 64 rather than 32 but I guess it would be the same for both.

I can 'see' the faulty driver listed in the folder but I guess unless I can ID where it came from and get a new copy/paste I'm stuffed??

Is there a reader of .sys files which can at least give me an insight of where it came from?

Last edited by r.bartlett : 07-18-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Closed Thread [Upload Driver/Firmware]