English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Modems (300-56K, ISDN, Cable, DSL, ...)

Old 11-21-2006
davyuk is on a distinguished road
Question Trouble installing downloaded driver

Hello Everyone. I have a no not that sort of problem...I went to the clinic yesterday and was all clear!!!!

I have downloaded a modem driver for an Intel modem but when the drivers are unzipped I get 5 files most of which won't open. I get a message saying that "WINDOWS CAN'T OPEN THE FILE AS IT NEEDS TO KNOW WHAT PROGRAM CREATED IT". It says that I can go online to search for it automatically, but as it is a modem driver obviously I can't (not this computer). The file extentions are .SYS and .DLL.

I am stumped and would really appreciate any help.

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2006
Super Moderator
Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Trouble installing downloaded driver

There's 2 ways to install a driver. You must have either an EXE or INF file.

1: If you have an exe, this is self installing. Just double-click it to start the installation program. Or you can run in from START, RUN, BROWSE, locate the exe and double-click it, then click OK.

2: If you do not have an EXE file, your driver files must contain at least 1 INF file. You launch it by clicking add new hardware, select MODEMS, then click HAVE DISK, then point the installation to the folder containing your INF file.
Or you can install inf files from the MODEM icon in Control Panel using the same procedure.

SYS or DLL files cannot be installed manually. These are installed automatically by the installation program.
Old 05-09-2007
LadyAudio is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trouble installing downloaded driver

those are system and Dynamic Link Library files and not installations. There should be more files in that folder. Look for the .inf file (at least 1).
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]