DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Networking (NICs, Gateways, Routers, Firewalls, ...)

Old 03-24-2009

x_cristy_x is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Network Problem

Hello....I am experiencing a quite strange problem with one of my computers. The problem is: when i'm downloading something (any web site) it hangs while downloading (for example it downloads 500 kb hangs for a 20 sec, it downloads another 250 kb hangs again and so on....the computer doesn't freeze...and in most cases the download stops, i have to restart it). i tried in mozilla, ie, the same problem. I exeprience the same problem when trying to copy a file from my other PC via network (it hangs and in most cases stops) and vice versa if i try to copy from this computer (the one i have problems with) on to my other computer. I also tried changing the network adapter, i experience the same problem. ANy other ideas??? PLEASE HELP!!!!
Thank you

Last edited by x_cristy_x : 03-24-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Network Problem

Sounds like a low ram problem. Please post your machine specs.

And take a look in Device Manager... do you see any problems there?
Old 03-25-2009

Hello.....What do you mean by low RAM??? Well it's a very very old PC meant for my old ones for basic usage (music, documents, instant messaging): MB:Lucky Star 5VPX2 with VIA VT82C585VPX chipset, Intel Pentium MMX processor 166MHZ, 2x32MB RAM @ 66MHz (i think), HDD: 2Gb Seagate + 3Gb WD Caviar 23200, Cd ROM, Video S3 Trio64V2 Dx/Gx 2MB. FDD + other peripherals (2 modems, 2 Sound Cards and network adapter). In DEVICE MANAGER I have one exclamation mark at one modem for which I cannot find drivers, and for one of the sound cards which sometimes I get the error "The device cannot start" but i have the drivers installed. Should I try removing some peripherals?? But I don't think this would be the cause of my problem. By the way, The mainboard supports two 72-pin SIMM sockets and two 168-pin DIMM sockets. Another problem is that it doesn't recognise SIMM memory only DIMM. WHY????I remind that while the download hangs the computer works (i can do other things opn it........even in mozilla)
Thank you

Last edited by x_cristy_x : 03-25-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Network Problem

Low ram means do you have sufficient ram to do the job. Your answer is "2x32MB RAM @ 66MHz". You must have ram sticks all the same, ie: you cannot mix SIMM and DIMM. Besides adding more ram, the only problem I can see if you need to remove one modem and one sound card.

If the motherboard has each built-in (ie: sound and modem) then you can simply disable those extra devices in BIOS setup. Otherwise if they both are add-on, just open the case and remove the one's that don't work or the one's that don't have any purpose. Your system only needs one of each otherwise you will be using up all the spare resources (ie: irq and i/o addresses). If they are extras and you're not using them, remove or disable the extra modem and sound device.

It's possible that having the extra hardware is also the cause of the problem. So in summary, get the ram problem fixed and the extra hardware removed or disabled and your problem should go away.

You never did say what OS your using. And to answer your question about why the motherboard won't use SIMM sticks is because that's how the mb. maker designed it. I'm not aware of any motherboards that can used mixed types of RAM. Always use the same type ram sticks in a mb.
Old 03-26-2009

I meant that I have 2 DIMM sticks of 32 MB each. And even if i revome DIMM's and insert only in the SIMM banks it won;t recognize them. Whatever that's not a big problem.And what's best?? IS it ebough if is simply disable them from device manager or physically remove them from the system??I currently have WIN XP with all the high graphics and stuff disabled.I will try your advices hope it will work. I will post a few days later....
Thanks

Last edited by x_cristy_x : 03-26-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-08-2009

problem fixed......changed some settings in BIOS and it works fine now..And this motherboard supports mixed types on RAM..thanks for the ideas
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]