DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Networking (NICs, Gateways, Routers, Firewalls, ...)

Old 11-07-2008

Palm Tree is on a distinguished road
Question installing vista driver

Hi. I just got a new computer with Vista Home Premium (64 bit). I'm trying to get my Trendnet TEW-444UB (Version A) Wireless Adapter installed but am having trouble. I went to this website to download the driver and the utility:

[url]http://www.trendnet.com/asp/download_manager/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=702&SUBMIT=Go#vist a[/url]

I downloaded:

Utility_Driver_TEW444UB_60228.zip (Configuration Utility)

and:

Driver_TEW-444UB(Vista-2.1.0.22).zip (Vista Driver)

I extracted them, ran the configuration utility and Vista is still not recognizing it. Am I supposed to do something with the driver files? It is getting extracted into 2 directories: "x586" and "x64" I assume I need to do something with the files in the x64 directory but i'm lost. the only documentation that came with the updated drivers were the original manuals and installation guide. they don't mention what to do with the vista drivers. I've tried manually pointing windows into the x64 directory but that still doesn't work.

Please help. I'm lost. The website says that Vista should support with these new drivers but I can't seem to get it to work. Thank you.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: installing vista driver

X586 is for 32 bit OS's and X64 is for 64 bit OS's. If you're running Vista x64 then yes you should use the X64 folder to install the drivers. Downloading and extracting won't make a device work, but installing those drivers after downloading and extracting might.
Old 11-08-2008

hey thanks for the reply... ok. i extracted the drivers then ran the configuration utility to install the drivers... during the installation i get "unable to load UMCWL.DLL library file" and the install fails. i checked the directory of the configuration utility (also where i extracted the drivers to) and the file is there... could you please tell me how to get rid of this error and get this driver installed?

According to the trendnet website, this wireless network adapter (the trendnet tew-444ub) SHOULD be supported by vista with the drivers that i got from their site. So i know there must be a way to get vista to recognize it.. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 11-08-2008

ok... i extracted the drivers and ran the configuration utility to install the drivers. unfortunately, during the install, i get the error message "unable to load UMCWL.DLL library file" and the install fails. i checked the directory of the configuration utility (which is also where i extracted the drivers to) and the file is there. How can i fix this error?

According to trendnet's website, the wireless network adapter (the TEW-444UB) i have SHOULD be supported by vista 32 and 64 bit. So I know there must be a way to get Vista to recognize my adapter with the vista drivers i downloaded from their site. Any help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 11-08-2008
Super Moderator

Forget about the configuration utility until you get the driver installed. The config utility has nothing to do with installing a driver. The X64 folder should contain the files necessary to install the driver.
Old 11-08-2008

sorry i probably confused you... the config utility IS what installs the driver. there are two files from the website i downloaded...

1.) Driver_TEW-444UB(Vista-2.1.0.22).zip ( the actual drivers)
2.) Utility_Driver_TEW444UB_60228.zip ( the "configuration utility")

when i extract file "1" it creates two directories: "x586" and "x64" in the x64 directory there are three files:

1.) athrxusb.sys
2.) athrxusbext.cat
3.) netathrxusb.inf

no executables... this is why i am lost as to what to do.

the config utility (file #2) is basically an updated version of the program that came on the original CD that came with my wireless adapter. Except it's made to work for vista... which it doesn't.

like i said, when i run the config utility (in order to install the drivers... which i presume it does by referencing the files i extracted from "file #1") during the install, i get the error message "unable to load UMCWL.DLL library file" if you can help me in any way please let me know... i already appreciate the time you've took so far.

oh and by the way, i also tried just having vista install the drivers but obviously that didn't work as vista says it can not locate the drivers. I also tried clicking "have disk" and manually pointing to the path that i extracted "file 1" into but vista says it can't find the drivers in that directory either.
Old 11-08-2008
Super Moderator

The INF file is what needs to be pointed at when you use ADD NEW HARDWARE. Are you saying it won't progress forward after that point?

When you select have disk and point to the folder where the INF file resides, the installation program should automatically read the information in the INF file and progress from there.

It's possible those files weren't made for Vista or they are not the right files.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]