DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Controllers (IDE, SCSI, IEEE1394, ...)

Old 03-30-2008

howie1332 is on a distinguished road
Post need info on Serial ATA RAID

I was given my fathers computer after he passed away I know a good deal about IDE and how they work but this computer of his is set up ATA RAID what is going on with it is that it had XP PRO X64 in it. And I think that my mother tryed to start it and she could not get it going.
So now to the problem it is not showing any HDD I would like to put XP PRO in it but it won't load it's saying the BIOS is not loaded.
This is a VIA Technologies board #VT8237 it has 4 HDD and the cables plug into the motherboard not a card.
Where can I find info about RAID array and can I wipe the HDD and install XP PRO
Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: need info on Serial ATA RAID

SATA controlllers weren't around when Microsoft designed Windows XP, so that's why XP cannot load a SATA driver like it does for IDE. You need to first figure out what SATA controller you have then find a matching driver. The best place to look would be your motherboard makers website.

VT8237 is a chipset number (not a mb. model)

SATA drivers are normally installed via F6 during XP install, requires a floppy drive. The other method is to integrate the sata drivers onto a custom XP install cd using a program like Nlite.
Old 03-31-2008

howie1332 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jerry You are right I put the chip # down not the board it an ASUS A8V Deluxe I spent most of the day looking for info and the Bios update I found the Bios and drive flash I loaded them it started the download for XP Pro when it came to put in floppy from the manufacture it stops and say that there is no hdd.
Before I done any of that I first checked the array by hitting Tab and then Ctrl + F and it shows the first and second drive set at 0+1 and they both also say functional it dones't show the last 2 hdd.
I guess I'll end up taken it to some one to fix but man I'd like to fix it myself cause now it's got me more puzzled then before.
Thanks Jerry for your help
Old 03-31-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

When you use the F6 method to install the SATA driver, it will give you a screen with several choices to pick from for the SATA controller. Do you get this screen after pressing F6?

SATA (RAID) controller is in fact VT8237. Sorry I missed that but I didn't know what the motherboard was. You can find these drivers on the Asus website:

[url]http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8V%20Deluxe[/url]

If the machine doesn't have a floppy drive, the only other method is to integrate the SATA driver into a XP installed disk using Nlite program. It's called "slip-streaming". You can get additional info by googling for either term: "Nlite" and "Slip-Streaming".

I've heard it's possible using a USB thumb drive but I'm still looking for instructions for this procedure.... none found so far.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]