DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Controllers (IDE, SCSI, IEEE1394, ...)

Old 11-02-2007

slapjack is on a distinguished road
Exclamation not detecting ide???

i work at a small business and someone here wanted to get on our network but seeing how resources are limited i decieded to build him a computer out of the "broken" ones that we had already. I took a mobo and processor out of an hp along with parts from a compaq and pieced together a unit that seems to work just fine. I cleared the cmos, formatted the hard drive, and reinstalled xp. The problem that i have is anytime the unit is turned off for any length of time when you turn it back on it freezes on the hp startup screen. I enabled the diagnostic screen and saw that it stops on detecting ide. When i reboot and enter setup the hd is listed and when i exit setup it boots just fine. I also found out that if you simply turn it off and right back on usuallly about the second or third time it boots just fine. Is there a way for me to fix this problem?? Any and all help is appreicated. mobo is a fic vg31.

Last edited by slapjack : 11-02-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: not detecting ide???

It almost sounds like the cmos battery needs replacing. However, with a drained battery it should just revert to default settings which may be the reason why it cannot detect the ide.... if bios settings don't remain the same after turning the unit off, then it definitely needs a new battery. Check or replace the battery and see if that cures the problem.
Old 11-05-2007

slapjack is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jerry. I'll Give It A Try And Let You Know.
Old 11-05-2007

driver_fixer is on a distinguished road

Just FYI, I think the problems you're having are due to some information stored within the CMOS Setup that you need to erase. Once you erase that data, the CMOS should be able to detect the changes you've made (installing a new HDD, for example), and that should get everything working again.

Before you do that, you'll need to see a copy of the motherboard manual, to help guide you through the changes you need to make. You can download the manual for that FIC motherboard (in .PDF format) directly through this link:

[url]ftp://ftp.fica.com/mirror/fict/motherboard/manual/socket478/vc37_vg31/vc37_vg31_b1_eng.zip[/url]

Just right-click that link, and choose whatever "Save" option your browser offers; do NOT choose to "OPEN" the file. Save it to your Desktop, or someplace where you can find it easily.

When the download has finished (~2.4MB file size), open the .ZIP file. You'll see the manual in .PDF format; open the manual (you'll need a .PDF viewer, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, or the Foxit Reader, to open it), and scroll down to page 46, which will show you the "PnP/PCI Configurations" options panel. The FIRST option at the top of the page is "Reset Configuration Data"; set that to ENABLED. Then, press the F10 key, and exit the CMOS Setup, but remember to SAVE YOUR SETTINGS on exit... The system will then reboot; when it does, the internal tables within the CMOS will be erased, and the hardware changes you've made to the hardware should be detected during the POST.

SO, in order to do this correctly, boot the system, and open the CMOS Setup program again (press the DEL key during POST). Find the "PnP/PCI Configurations" panel, then follow the steps exactly as I've explained them, and you should be able to boot the system all the way into Windows. The "Reset Configuration Data" option will automatically be DISABLED again on reboot, which will store the new settings (for your newly added hardware) into the CMOS, and then the system shouldn't hang during bootup anymore, because the listing in the CMOS will match the information the system reads from the HDD during bootup.

Good luck; post any questions you have BEFORE you begin, so we can guide you through this... Otherwise, be sure to let us know how this turns out...

EDIT: If you need more information about this, check this link:

[url]http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000976.htm[/url]
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]