DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Controllers (IDE, SCSI, IEEE1394, ...)

Old 10-09-2007

sierraok is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Ethernet controller missing?? HELP please!!

Hi all!

I bought this CPU from a friend of a friend for my son and was promised it was ready-to-go, but found I couldn't connect to the internet. I have wireless DSL, a wireless router with 3 other computers connected, and the connection destined for this new CPU works perfectly with my laptop, but not this new computer. In device manager, there were no drivers installed for the ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, or video controller (but the monitor works fine ??), and these were listed under "other devices" with that annoying little yellow exclamation point.

I have searched the internet for DAYS and looked all over the HP website for any clue, but I'm not even really sure what I should be looking for and I'm getting really desperate now. Can anyone offer me any advice?

thanks!!

Computer Make/Model: Hewlett-Packard d220 MT (DW982A)
Processor: 2.40 gig Intel Celeron, 8 kb primary memory cache, 128 kb secondary memory cache
Board: Lite-On Tech 0888h
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American megatrends Inc. 1.12 05/28/2004
Drives: 41.10 gig usable hard drive capacity; 39.02 gig hard drive free space
CD-ROM: Sony CD-RW CRX230ED
HD: Maxtor 2F040L0 (41.11 GB) - drive 0, s/n F1HREPLE, rev VAM51JJO, SMART status: Healthy
Memory Modules: 504 MB installed memory; slot ‘0’ has 256 MB; slot ‘1’ has 256 MB
Local drive volumes: (NTFS on drive 0) 41.10 GB - 39.02 GB free
Network drivers: None detected.
Controllers: Standard floppy disk controller; Intel(R) 82801D Ultra ATA storage controller - 24CB; primary IDE channel (controller); secondary IDE channel (controller)
Bus adapters: Intel(R)
Display: None detected.
Multimedia: None detected.
Communications: None detected.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2007

JohnDeTora is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ethernet controller missing?? HELP please!!

I have the same exact problem, I even have 3 computers on the network as well, I really need help.
Old 10-10-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

Doesn't the manufacturer of your machine have drivers posted? or have you even bothered to look? Lazy people.... look before you post then when you do post, stop blabbing about I done this and I tried that and and I have 3 pc's, and I can't get it to work, and more bla, bla bla. Junk like that means nothing to us. all it takes to get a driver is to visit the manufacturers website (in most instances). If you don't know how to look then describe your pc system and/or motherboard and we'll go look for you when we have adequate time.... otherwise don't expect to be spoon fed. And when I say describe the hardware, I don't mean:

1: "I think it's an hp"
or
2: "it's black and white"
or
3: "it has an Intel 82801 chipset"
or
4: "I got it from my brother-in-law"
or
5: "I bought it on ebay and the seller didn't include a disk"
Old 10-10-2007

JohnDeTora is on a distinguished road

I don't know which drivers to get, I don't know if its for a motherboard, network card, etc. I have looked on driverguides.com, the dell website, and searched google. I'm not expecting to be "spoon fed", I just need to know what drivers I need.
Old 10-10-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

You missed the entire point of the post... read it again.
Old 11-05-2007

driver_fixer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraok
Hi all!

I bought this CPU from a friend of a friend for my son and was promised it was ready-to-go, but found I couldn't connect to the internet. I have wireless DSL, a wireless router with 3 other computers connected, and the connection destined for this new CPU works perfectly with my laptop, but not this new computer. In device manager, there were no drivers installed for the ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, or video controller (but the monitor works fine ??), and these were listed under "other devices" with that annoying little yellow exclamation point.

I have searched the internet for DAYS and looked all over the HP website for any clue, but I'm not even really sure what I should be looking for and I'm getting really desperate now. Can anyone offer me any advice?

thanks!!

Computer Make/Model: Hewlett-Packard d220 MT (DW982A)
Processor: 2.40 gig Intel Celeron, 8 kb primary memory cache, 128 kb secondary memory cache
Board: Lite-On Tech 0888h
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American megatrends Inc. 1.12 05/28/2004
Drives: 41.10 gig usable hard drive capacity; 39.02 gig hard drive free space
CD-ROM: Sony CD-RW CRX230ED
HD: Maxtor 2F040L0 (41.11 GB) - drive 0, s/n F1HREPLE, rev VAM51JJO, SMART status: Healthy
Memory Modules: 504 MB installed memory; slot ‘0’ has 256 MB; slot ‘1’ has 256 MB
Local drive volumes: (NTFS on drive 0) 41.10 GB - 39.02 GB free
Network drivers: None detected.
Controllers: Standard floppy disk controller; Intel(R) 82801D Ultra ATA storage controller - 24CB; primary IDE channel (controller); secondary IDE channel (controller)
Bus adapters: Intel(R)
Display: None detected.
Multimedia: None detected.
Communications: None detected.
Hi, sierraok,

To begin with, you'll need to download and install the motherboard chipset drivers for your system, since we don't know if they have already been installed, or if part of the drivers were somehow defective.

The MAIN HP/Compaq page for your system is here:

[url]http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?&lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSerie sId=337529&lang=en&cc=us[/url]

The main SUPPORT page for your computer is located here:

[url]http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=337531& prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=337529&swLang=13&tas kId=135&swEnvOID=1093[/url]

The reference manuals page is here:

[url]http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?&lang=en&cc=us&contentType=Suppo rtManual&docIndexId=179166&prodTypeId=12454&prodSe riesId=337529&lang=en&cc=us[/url]

Look at those pages, so you'll know what type of information they contain. Be SURE to bookmark ALL of those pages, so you can find them easily in the future.

To fix your system, you have to install some drivers; they MUST be installed in a particular order, so please follow my instructions CAREFULLY. If you have any questions about a procedure I describe, post them here and I'll try to clarify things for you.

To begin this repair, you'll first need to download and install the motherboard chipset driver for your system, since we don't know if it has already been installed, or if part of it was somehow defective.

You can download the motherboard chipset drivers directly from here:

[url]ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp24501-25000/sp24521.exe[/url]

Simply right-click on that link, and choose whatever "Save..." or "SaveAs..." option your browser offers you. The file is ~2.6MB in size, so it should download fairly quickly, even over a dialup connection.

Save the file to the Desktop, or someplace where you can find it easily. Once the download has finished, CLOSE ALL OPEN PROGRAMS, including your browser. Next, locate the file (SP24521.EXE) which you just downloaded, and DOUBLE-CLICK it. The installer program will run; just follow the prompts, and the MCD (motherboard chipset drivers) will be installed. The system will NEED to be rebooted to complete the MCD installation, so do NOT try to avoid or interfere with the rebooting process. Windows does a LOT of housekeeping during reboots, deleting old files and replacing them with new ones, so allow the system to reboot, which could take longer than usual... so just be patient.

When the system gets back to the Desktop, you will have the latest MCD properly installed, so post here again, and let me know you're ready to move on to the next step... After this, we'll install the proper video driver, then the ethernet and multimedia drivers...

Good luck with this; post any questions you might have, and I'll try to answer them for you. If you don't have any questions, follow the steps I've outlined here, and let us know when you're ready to install the next set of (missing) drivers...

Last edited by driver_fixer : 11-05-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2007

Europa is on a distinguished road

hi there,

The adapter you are looking for are at this site..but make sure it is authenticated.

[url]http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/site/search/r4_0/jsp/search.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeri esId=50440&tx=hp%20ethernet%20adapter%20[/url]

It will download automatic, if not go to: Start - Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance - System - Hardware tab - Device Manager - Network Adapters or the one with yellow question mark. Right Click to choose-(update dirver) click (No, not this time) click (Next) click (install from the list...) click (don't search. i will choose the driver to install) click (Next) unclick (show compatible hardware) it will show few driver manufacturers and also choose (digitally signed) only if not your system will crash as it did mine...

if the driver you choose is not working, try again the above but this time another manufacturer... best luck.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]