DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Controllers (IDE, SCSI, IEEE1394, ...)

Old 09-15-2007

SkipRinPerth is on a distinguished road
Default Jaz Jet card aka ADVANSYS ASC1200 Fast scsi-2

I have a Jaz Jet PCI card (a.k.a ADVANSYS ASC1200 Fast SCSI-2) in an old machine. Other web sites indicate this card is based on Advanced Systems chip set. I can't find a spec sheet on this card I have had it since 1998 and want to move it to a new machine. On boot up this card does not show any BIOS message. Can anyone tell me if this card has a BIOS on board ?

Is it capable of doing:
- Bus mastering ?
- DMA?
- boot from SCSI?

Are the any tools that will tell me this?

Ever since I have had this card installed it will cause windows 98se warm boot to fail. A cold boot is fine and controller works fine. This behavior happens when even when all SCSI devices are powered off.

Anyone know why this card + OS behaves like this. I think if I move this card to a new OS and machine I will still get this problem. Anyone seen this happen with other SCSI controller cards?
Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jaz Jet card aka ADVANSYS ASC1200 Fast scsi-2

You can get the specs on this card by visiting the Iomega website (link below)

[url]https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_eu_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14599[/url]

Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page and watch for Cards & Adapters (red lettering)

Your card should allow you to enter bios setup by pressing ctrl+A

Instructions copied from iomega website:
While your computer is booting, watch for the Iomega Jaz Jet PCI BIOS banner, which is normally red or blue, to appear. Once the banner appears, press the Ctrl and A keys at the same time to run the AdvanceWare Utility.

The Iomega 1GB and 2 GB drives must be connected and powered up with a disk inserted to avoid the problem you described.

I'm not sure this device will work in Windows XP. I doubt Iomega supports it but you may want to ask them. Otherwise, support would have to come from the Windows XP os. Have you plugged it into a Windows XP machine to see what happens?
Old 09-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry K
You can get the specs on this card by visiting the Iomega website (link below)

[url]https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_eu_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14599[/url]

Your card should allow you to enter bios setup by pressing ctrl+A

The Iomega 1GB and 2 GB drives must be connected and powered up with a disk inserted to avoid the problem you described.

Have you plugged it into a Windows XP machine to see what happens?

Jerry, Thanks for the helpful comments, I hunted on their asia pacific site but found no page like the one you found. Unfortunately the one I want on that page seems to be the only one with a broken link. On that page I found:
  1. Jaz Jet Dual PCI card Specifications - not the one the word "dual" does not match my description
  2. Jaz Jet PCI Ultra SCSI Card [PDF 0.2MB] - broken link - damn this must be me
    (I will contact iomega see if they can fix the link)
  3. Jaz Jet PCI Ultra card Specifications - a type II PCMCIA card - not me
  4. Jaz PC card Specifications - a type II PCMCIA card - not me

The "Iomega Jaz Jet PCI BIOS banner" has never appeared on the two machines these cards have been/are in. (so the control-a detection has never worked). On boot up I see graphics card identity, BIOS identity and PnP card detection messages (nothing about the SCSI card just other stuff).

Also I note that the PC BIOS setup screens do not have a "boot from" SCSI option in them or any configuration items associated with SCSI devices. Is this significant? Does a PC have to have a smarter BIOS that can detect SCSI controllers on the PCI bus?

The Iomega web page would lead you to assume that Jet cards work with a NT miniport driver but it would be nicer if the entire 2K/XP/VI family were mentioned explicitly. I will ask Iomega about it but I expect they will just say we don't support that product anymore and cannot answer in questions about it.

No - it has not been tested with newer OS such as 2K/XP/VI as yet. I suppose a test on win 2K (have machine for that) and win XP (will have machine for that eventually) will be required.

You suggest that the JAZ drive always be on - yes that will prevent the warm boot issue. Do you know if this a characteristic of all SCSI controllers? That is, on warm boot if no drives on SCSI chain a lock up occurs.

The reason I don't have the JAZ drive always on is because I rarely use it and wish to maximize the devices life span. There are 2 reasons why your suggestion is not for me it will reduce lifespan of the drive, and will cause another "evil" problem to be raised. This "evil" problem is the machine will "freeze" sometime at or after the JAZ drive goes into "auto sleep" (again set on to improve life span), it spins down after 30 mins of no activity. CTL-ALT-DEL will not resolve the "freeze" problem and I need to reboot when it happens.

I have set the Iomega (I am using v6.1 Iomegaware) "auto sleep" drive option to "30 minutes". Win 98 PC power management "standby" set to " disabled", and IDE disks set to power/spin down after 30 mins. (The machine serves files to the other machines on the network so no workstation applications run on this machine like word, browsers, email etc)
Old 09-17-2007
Super Moderator

If the Ctrl + Alt prompt doesn't appear on the monitor screen, that's a sign of 2 things.

1: The bios eprom chipset has been removed from the card (is it missing a chip?)

2: the current firmware has been corrupted (the only way to cure that is to re-burn the chip, ie: requires an eprom burner.) or install a new one.

There is one other possibility (but I've never heard of it and don't know exactly how to fix it).... but there could be some setting in the cards setup that's been previously instructed to "don't show Ctrl + A prompt during bootup".

Not being familiar with that particular card, I don't have a specific fix. Have you tried (anyway) to press Ctrl + A during bootup to see if it will enter setup?
Old 09-20-2007

Quote:
If the Ctrl + Alt prompt doesn't appear on the monitor screen, that's a sign of 2 things.

1: The bios eprom chipset has been removed from the card (is it missing a chip?)
I'll look and post the result.

Quote:
Not being familiar with that particular card, I don't have a specific fix. Have you tried (anyway) to press Ctrl + A during bootup to see if it will enter setup?
yes, multiple times all through the boot process with no difference
Old 09-20-2007
Super Moderator

You might try contacting Iomega support and ask them it this card can be instructed to "don't show Ctrl + A during bootup". If it can, then they most likely can tell you how to get into bios setup.

If it doesn't have that ability, then I'd say your bios is missing the chipset or the firmware is corrupt.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]