DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Driver Request Forums > CD / DVD Request Board

Old 05-20-2007

GentleBen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: HL-DT-ST GCC 4244N DVD/CD ROM DRIVER (Windows XP Home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry K
Don't take it for granted, check to see. It is very likely that your new drive jumpers don't match the old drive. How is the old drive jumpered? ie: master, slave, or CS? Does the new drive match?

The HL-DT-ST GCC 4244N is a slimline DVD drive. On my laptop it replaced a TEAC CD-224E. Both of these drives use a JAE KX15-50KLD 50 pin connector, which does not have jumper pins. It appears that the host determines whether the drive is master or slave, since according to the Hardware Specification for the TEAC CD-224E:

"The setting to master or slave is determined by the -CSEL signal (interface connector 47 pin). If the -CSEL signal is at a low level, the CD-ROM drive is set to slave, and if it is open or at high level, it is set to the master."

There are no jumper pins available to set the device to master or slave.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DRIVER NEEDED: HL-DT-ST GCC 4244N DVD/CD ROM DRIVER (Windows XP Home)

Correct, laptop drives are different than standard desktop or internal drives in the fact they come factory configured for either Master, Slave, or CS. Cannot be changed by the user.

r u sure the GCC 4244N is an exact replacement for the TEAC CD-224E? If it isn't that could explain why it isn't working.
Old 05-24-2009

thejaybird is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: DRIVER NEEDED: HL-DT-ST GCC 4244N DVD/CD ROM DRIVER (Windows XP Home)

This fix solved my problem. The display of the registry edit window as a guide was wonderful and made it easy! Thanks!!!
Old 05-07-2010

mjc2721 is on a distinguished road

I have to same driver, but for some reason, when I put in a blank DVDR it wont read it.
Old 05-08-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: DRIVER NEEDED: HL-DT-ST GCC 4244N DVD/CD ROM DRIVER (Windows XP Home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc2721
I have to same driver, but for some reason, when I put in a blank DVDR it wont read it.

There's nothing to READ on a BLANK DVDR. It's empty! Do you mean instead "when I put in a blank dvdr, my recording software doesn't recognize it"?

If that's the case, the recording software you have is not the correct version for your drive and Windows XP OS. ie: it's too old.... either update your current recording software to a newer version or uninstall the old and install a newer version that is compatible with your drive and OS.
Old 07-27-2011

Annawatson is on a distinguished road

I would not exactly support that. I own a Dell system, and I have not faced any issues with it. As far as the software is concerned and the support related to them, the pre installed software does not cause any issues. Software conflicts and issues occur only if you are installing software on your own, which is not compatible with the OS. Else the software do not cause any major issues.
Old 05-29-2012

rkliwon650 is on a distinguished road

Hey GentleBen,
Have you tried installing another drive? This particular model seems to have driver issues.
You could also try using a driver downloader, for example driverdetective.

Normally only ATA optical drives for desktop-pc's have jumpers that need setting. Optical drives for laptops don't have such jumpers.

Reinstalling your laptop is an option, but I consider that to be a radical one. Perhaps you could also consider buying a portable dvd-drive.

Good luck with IT
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]