DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Networking (NICs, Gateways, Routers, Firewalls, ...)

Old 11-08-2008

Palm Tree is on a distinguished road
Default Re: installing vista driver

there is an inf file that get's extracted into the x64 directory. it is netathrxusb.inf

i've told vista to get the drivers from this directory and it just says that it doesn't recognize any drivers there.

this is the website where i got the drivers file and the config utility file:
[url]http://www.trendnet.com/asp/download_manager/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=702[/url]

on that page, there are six files to download:

1.) "Data Sheets"
2.) "Driver/Utility"
3.) "FAQ"
4.) "Quick Installation Guide"
5.) "User Guide"
6.) "Windows Vista Driver"

Files 1, 3, 4, and 5 are PDFs. They are outdated and are simply copies of the manual on the CD that came with the adapter when i bought it.
File 2 is the config utility and File 6 is the actual driver. It's implied on the site that I use File 2 to install File 6. As i said, when i try this, i get the error "unable to load UMCWL.DLL library file"

When i looked in the directory of the config utility, the file IS there. Why it doesn't load or why it is a problem, i don't know.

I think that this UMCWL.DLL file is the problem but i really don't know as i don't know anything about this stuff. Please help if you can. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

Ok, thanks for taking the time to fully explain what you've done.

First, I don't see anywhere on that page where it says this file supports Vista OS. I downloaded both files and extracted them but I did't find this UMCWL.DLL file you speak of so I'm thinking maybe it appears once the setup program is launched and maybe that file is extracted from the CAB files during installation of the Utility program.

But from what I got by reading the Quick Installation Guide (English PDF), these files are only for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP. I found nothing indicating that these files support Vista.

There is no SETUP.EXE file in the driver set so that means that during installation of the Utility program, it simply ends. Then you insert the drive into a USB port and it will automatically find the INF file extracted from the Driver files. I'm only assuming that all files extract from these 2 files must be in the same folder because I find nothing that states exactly how this install goes.

And I'm surmising that the reason for your problem is these files aren't for Vista. Can you give me any url or pdf where this is verified as a Vista driver?
Old 11-08-2008

Palm Tree is on a distinguished road

if you downloaded the files from that site, i don't know how you didn't see it.

[url]http://trendnet.com/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=702[/url]

that should take you to exactly where i've been. just to be 100 percent sure we are on the same page, you can go to [url]www.trendnet.com[/url]

click downloads

in the drop-down menu where it says <select product> pick "TEW-444UB" and click go

It will ask you version "A" or "EU" select "A"

it will show you a box with downloads on top, then a grid inside the box. on top of the grid it says "TEW-444UB (Version A)"

below that, 4 columns: "Type" "Description" "Dated" "File Size"

Under "Type" there are 6 items:
"Data Sheets"
"Driver/Utility"
"FAQ"
"Quick Installation Guide"
"User Guide"
"Windows Vista Drivers" ***

Under Description it is given as:
"File Name: Driver_TEW-444UB(Vista-2.1.0.22).zip"

So if they made an error on the website, they also made an error in the file name.

Finally, if you go here:
[url]https://trendnet.com/store/products/proddetail.asp?prod=135_TEW-444UB&cat=87[/url]

it shows you an image of the product and under "overview" it says "compatible with the following operating systems:"
Vista is the first one listed.
Old 11-09-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

Palm Tree,
Ok, I see now that it is certified for Vista. I was looking inside the pdf files and found no mention there. I went back to the page of the link you posted and I see it there. Sometimes it's hard to see the trees for the forest.

Does this error (where it can't find the UMCWL.DLL file) occur during installation of the Utility (before it completes)? And so the config program is unable to complete? The way I read the pdf instructions, is that once the Config program completes, then when you insert the drive into a usb port, it will then search and find the INF file to complete. In other words you don't install the driver, the system does it automatically. Are we in agreement to this so far?

I was looking at Trendnet's help page and it appears you must register first before you can ask for help... we may need their advise on this problem.

[url]https://trendnet.com/asp/helpdesk[/url]

I've already sent them a request so it may take a day or so before i hear back from them. I'll let you know asap.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]