DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows Vista

Old 07-07-2008

PeterPoles is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie and confused!!

Hi All!! I have recently bought a lappy for myself..I want to install the operating system on it, but i am really confused as to which one to go for? I am thinking of installing Microsoft Windows Vista Home. what do you say guys? Shall i go for it? I am getting it for £156 @ [url]http://www.checkcost.co.uk/microsoft-windows-vista-home-premium-english/p/149516/[/url] at a store called ecostsoftware, but amazon has the same for £200..Its a good difference. Dont you think so? why amazon having that high price?

Last edited by PeterPoles : 07-07-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie and confused!!

I suspect it would depend on which laptop you have. Laptops cannot use generic drivers... they must use specific drivers from the laptop maker. Vista or XP (retail) may not contain support for all the on-board hardware so that leaves you out in the cold if the laptop maker doesn't have hardware drivers for this laptop model.

I suggest you first visit the laptop makers website and see what OS this model was shipped with and stay with the same version of Windows that the laptop maker shipped it with. Most all pc's are shipped with Vista currently so if your was, I suggest you stay with the same OS.

If you need additional help, please provide us with the brand and model of your laptop.

I'm also curious how you got a laptop with no OS installed, (optional question). Did it not come with a restore disk or a recovery partition on the hard drive?
Old 07-08-2008

PeterPoles is on a distinguished road

It had Linux installed..But I am not comfortable using that OP, and it was gifted by my aunt so couldn't do anything when bought..Also I have heard that vista is not good at performance..Is it true?
Old 07-08-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

According to the many posts here asking for XP drivers to convert from Vista, I'd say the answer is yes. Most folks don't like Vista.... but a few do. I personally don't care for Vista. XP is much easier to navigate in than Vista.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]