DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Displays (graphics/video cards, monitors, cables, ...)

Old 11-13-2008

Premium Member

donreno is on a distinguished road
Default After installing a new display driver lost display

After installing a new hard drive in a Dell Dimesion2400 & installing xp pro on it, I had to find a new display driver to get past 600x480. The one I found apparently caused the lack of display. I can just see the xp logo on boot up with the little progress bar and then a blank screen from then on. I also had to dnload a nic driver but that worked out fine.
I've worked on a lot of computers, but I've never experienced this one before.
How can you change drivers when you can't see anything? Anyone know how to resolve this? I would sure appreciate some help.
Thank you for your help,
Don

Last edited by donreno : 11-13-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: After installing a new display driver lost display

Did you install the OS using the Dell restore disks or just a standard XP install disk? If youre used a standard disk, then it most likely won't have all the drivers (including the Video driver). If Windows does not have a driver for the video, then you must allow it to install the "Standard VGA Driver". This will at least give you video where you can install the normal video driver.

I have a Dell 2400 restore disk somewhere, but I'd have to look it up. If you need anything from there, let me know and I'll see if I can find it and up it for you.
Old 11-13-2008

Premium Member

Thank you for your reply Jerry.
They did give me a recovery cd, but not the floppy that it needs to go with it. So I had to install from a regular xp pro disk. Yes I did have vga and tried to replace that driver with another one that I dnloaded from here. After trying the dnloaded driver, now I'm working in the dark (no display) except the beginning of boot up right after the post. I would appreciate any help you can give.
Thank yuo,
Don
Old 11-13-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

No floppy is required to install the OS and drivers from the Dell disk. At least it's not for my 2400.

First make sure the system bios is set to boot from the optical drive first.

Then insert the disk and reboot or power up the machine. You will see a new message on the screen that says "Press any key to boot from optical drive"
You must do so within 5 seconds otherwise it will attempt to boot normally.

Let it run the installation, should start automatically.
Old 11-13-2008

Premium Member

Hi Jerry,
When I installed the oem recovery disk, it prompted me to put in the floppy that came with it. I wonder if I could find the files to make the recovery floppy from Dell or wherever?
I have changed the boot order so many times today, but I'll try it again in the morning. At this point I don't remember whether I tried that with the recovery disk and bios set for cd rom boot.

Don
Old 11-14-2008

BlackCoders is on a distinguished road
idea Re: After installing a new display driver lost display

try booting your pc to a safe mode....the install your display driver....

Last edited by Jerry K : 11-15-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2008

Premium Member

Thank you BlackCoders. I haven't been able to get into safe mode on previous tries. Or at least don't see anything after the win xp logo screen goes black. Using a startup floppy I've been able to use comand prompt & dir the hd. that's all so far.

I'm going to go back & try some more things. Was out of town yesterday.
Don
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]