DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Driver Request Forums > Graphics / Video Adapter Request Board

Old 12-16-2006

Dagx is on a distinguished road
Default The full screen blues, from ATI to VGA?

Hyello people.
I'm having the most annoying problem with my laptop. I'm here for some help with it.

About 6 months ago my computer started having problems with full screen programs. Once i close a full screen program (i.e. Windows media player full screen, Roller coaster tycoon, etc.) my computer would show about half the desktop, flash a blue screen that says something about memory, then totally reboot.

I ignored it but I couldn't take it very long because RCT has to be one of my favourite games. Anyway I decided to ask a few people. I was told that my blue screen said "Dump of physical memory" and they told me to download a new video Driver. Is that right?

So I looked through my computer and found that I'd need to download an "ATI Radeon X1600" driver. Seems complicated enough to work. So I go to the ATI support site, find the right Driver and try to install it. Halfway through the process a window comes up and says I need to have a "standard VGA video driver". I search through Driverguide and everything i find that has to do with VGA only works for Win200 or below. I run WinXP Pro.

So can anyone here help me?
Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2006
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: The full screen blues, from ATI to VGA?

Do not, I repeat do not install a generic driver from ATI. You need to visit your laptop makers website and download the specific driver for your notebook model.

Laptop makers install special code in laptops that make it impossible to install a generic driver. Nothing new, they've done it since laptops were first designed.

Most video drivers require you to change from the existing driver to the Windows generic (Standard VGA Compatible) driver before installing any new driver. This causes less problems with the install.

If you need further help, please state the brand and model (or numbers from the stickers) on your specific laptop.

thread moved from tech to tech to Video Driver Request forum.

Last edited by Jerry K : 12-16-2006 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2006

Default Re: The full screen blues, from ATI to VGA?

Well it's an HP Laptop that I got just over a year ago. It's a 30 GB model, I was going to flip it over but I use it as my main computer so it has every hole in it filled.

I'll check the HP website but my main question is "Is this the right thing to do for my problem"

On a side note sorry for my first post here being a problem. I'm usually more of a friendly person.
Old 12-17-2006
Super Moderator

still need the model # of the laptop. 30 GB is not a model #, that's the size of the hard drive.
Old 12-17-2006

Let's see here.. There all numbers on stickers on my laptop so ummm..

Just below the monitor: Compaq nc8230

On a sticker saying something about WinXP, Top code beside "Product key"=17x3F-xxxxx-GGx29-xxxxx-JKx68

And when i clicked properties under "my computer" I got: 7x4x7-OEM-x0x1x0x-0x1x1

Those are the only numbers I've been able to read (Vision problems) so if any of those are helpful.

It's registered under mike phealin if that helps any.

Last edited by Jerry K : 12-17-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2006

Yeah instead of a product number it has a series number which is the nc8230. As far as [url]www.hp.com[/url] told me.

Last edited by Dagx : 12-17-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2006
Super Moderator

ATI driver and control panel are here:

[url]http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3 21957&prodSeriesId=447338&prodNameId=447352&swEnvO ID=1093&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=PSG_I236 22-108820[/url]
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]