DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Optical Storage Drives (CDs, DVDs, ...)

Old 09-20-2007

suavelad2007 is on a distinguished road
Default strange DVD drive!

Hi all,

My 16x DVD-RW IDE Drive does all the necessary reading and burning and plays DVD movies - however SOME DVD titles are not being recognized by the drive...these are original movies and the LED just flicks on and off and I can hear a faint mechanical whirring - Im puzzled as to why most titles work and some do not (they are different companies/different aged DVDS too)..has anyone any ideas to help?? or will a new drive be in order!!?!!?!?

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: strange DVD drive!

Has it ever recognized these problem disks? If the answer is no, then most likely a new drive is needed or factory repair is needed. Have you tried cleaning the laser lens? Some drives go bad with age and heat.... the heat causes the lubrication to dry out, hence the lens arm cannot move freely. I take mine out and clean and lube them occasional... that usually extends the normal life on one somewhat. However, when all that fails to keep one in proper running order, it's cheaper to just replace it. Price of optical drives has dropped considerably in the last year or so.
Old 09-20-2007

suavelad2007 is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much for your quick reply Jerry, no I dont think it has ever recognised them, although the number is grwoing as I surf through my dads enormous collection! The drive is not old, about 3/4months although I am wary due to it being unbranded...I feel it to be strange as in 2 Disc box sets, one may work and the other doesnt!

Perhaps a replacement drive will be best, if anyone can think of anything else let me know,

Thanks
Old 09-20-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

I'd test those problem disks in another machine. If they run ok in another drive then you know your drive is flaky. You can buy cleaning disks fairly reasonable on price and try that first.
Old 11-10-2014

jmichae3 is on a distinguished road

what you might need is not a new drive, but a firmware update for the mew media model number (I think that's what I was told). if no firmware update is available from the optical drive manufacturer, request one and tell them what media make and model number you have.

fingerprints, dust and scratches are things you should avoid. like not laying the disc data side down on a table which usually has scratchy dust on it - sure t get scratches on the data layer form a table - this is why we have. paper is typically more safe, unless it's been laying in the same place for days and has gathered (you guessed it) dust. hold the disc by the edges and as gingerly as you can, because more pressure means more fingerprints I have learned - there is oil in your fingers and hand, and this interferes with the laser's reading of data. if you have scratch problems, the JFJ easy pro $149 should take care of those if you have a high turnover rate.

Last edited by jmichae3 : 11-10-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]