DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > CPUs & Motherboards

Old 07-19-2009

Bglamb is on a distinguished road
Question Motherboard or BIOS?

Hi,

I've never really updated any of the drivers relating to CPU, Motherboard etc, or updated my BIOS, so I thought I would give it a go. Unfortunately I'm getting a little confused.

Everest is reporting my Motherboard as an ASUS P4P8X, and my BIOS as AMI. The thing is, when I go to ASUS's page and type in my motherboard number, it gives me the BIOS downloads for the motherboard. But am I right in thinking that these will be for an ASUS BIOS?

I can't tell what my processor is beside that it's a P4, 3000mhz.

After much reading and searching I am still no nearer being able to reliably update any of the above, so your help would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou!
Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Motherboard or BIOS?

In the "Category" box you have to select ALL, otherwise it will default to BIOS (the first choice in the drop-down menu.)

This is the content of the downloads:

21 files found
BIOS (6) [BIOS History]
BIOS-Utilities (2)
AUDIO (2)
LAN (2)
Utilities (3)
Manual (6)

The number represents how many driver files are in each category.

[url]http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us[/url]
Old 07-19-2009

Right, but isn't one of them supposed to be for my motherboard as a whole? You might have misread my post. I've got seperate network, sound and video cards, and BIOS by AMI, not ASUS, so should I download any of them or are they all wrong?

Last edited by Bglamb : 07-19-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2009
Super Moderator

You need to download the driver that matches your hardware. And no I didn't misread your post. Drivers and BIOS updates are 2 different things. The Asus website offers both.
Old 07-23-2009

So the download there would be for an ASUS BIOS? Or for any BIOS on an ASUS motherboard?

For example, if I had an AMI BIOS on an ASUS motherboard (which I do), should I download their BIOS update?

And there are no drivers listed for 'Motherboard'. Am I missing something?
Old 07-23-2009
Super Moderator

It fairly normal procedure to download and install the latest bios file, ie: the one with the latest date or highest number.... unless you just like older bios files.

And the drivers are there.... you have to first select the product, series, then model. Once done, the results will be for the motherboard you select in the first 3 boxes. If you take the time to read what's on the page, you won't have any trouble.

If you follow my instructions in post #2, you won't have any problems either.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by Jerry K : 07-23-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2009

Yeah, sorry, I still don't get it.

I'm still unsure as to whether or not it's just for use on an ASUS BIOS or whether I can use that BIOS update for my AMI BIOS on an ASUS motherboard. It's just that if I flash my BIOS wrongly I'm screwed.

I've read all over the pages, and followed everything you said but nowhere does it say that I can use those files to update a non-ASUS BIOS. And nowhere does it say "motherboard driver here -->"

It's got Audio and LAN updates, but I don't use them. And it's got ASUS BIOS updates, but I don't have an ASUS BIOS, I just have an ASUS motherboard. Does it matter the make of my BIOS?

Should I be using any of these files, or should I be looking for an AMI update site? And when you talk about updating the motherboard drivers, do you just mean the ones for the LAN and audio card that are on it? Because that is all the the site offers in way of drivers.

Last edited by Bglamb : 07-24-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]