DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Software Forums > Viruses, Spyware, Adware, and other nasties

Old 12-04-2011

ciper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help! Can't uninstall Driverscan 2012

I have this same problem. I'm a little upset over it since the laptop in question has a fresh installation of windows (only firefox and updates were installed at the time). Now I have this splinter in the back of my mind that says the OS is no longer clean.

There is only one account in use and its an administrator. This is the only program that cannot be uninstalled, I installed and then uninstalled a few test applications after receiving this error.

Here is a screenshot - [url]http://i42.tinypic.com/4qila8.jpg[/url]

Now you may wonder why am I uninstalling? Well I've tried the latest beta on THREE different machines and all of them crash when trying to download one of the updated drivers. I submitted multiple reports on application exit.

I really want to love driverscan. The idea is great but with these show stopping errors really kill my first impression
Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2011

I wanted to point out that I did get a great reply from one of the support staff. Here is what he said -
Windows 7/Vista/etc.
-
1. Delete the directory C:\Program Files\DriverGuide or C:\Program Files (x86)\DriverGuide (if you're running an x64 OS).
2. Hit the Windows key and start typing "Task Scheduler", select it to run. Delete the one or two entries that refer to DriverScan.
3. Delete the directory C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\DriverGuide
4. Run regedit.exe, navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall hive. Select the "{53c1ae69-3810-49a0-80a7-43735a4a8093}" key and delete it.

edit: For me step 4 was wrong, I found the key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{53c1ae69-3810-49a0-80a7-43735a4a8093}

And two more entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Se ssion Manager\Environment\
delete "driverscanpath" key
modify "path" key to remove portion about driverscan

Follow at your own risk!

Last edited by ciper : 12-04-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2011
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Help! Can't uninstall Driverscan 2012

Thanks for your comments ciper. Please remember this software is new and improvements to it are being made on a day to day basis, eg: fix 1 or 2 problem today, then another tomorrow. Please give the author some time to work out the problems. I promise the author will try everything in his power to make it get better and more user friendly as time passes.
Old 12-04-2011
Administrator

quincy is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I'm the developer and I'm sorry about the uninstall issues you've been having. I am trying to track it down, but haven't been able to reproduce it on my machines yet.

Here are the detailed instructions on uninstalling, and an alternate method which should work around the permission issue.

[url=http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=doc&page=dgx__docs__manual_uninst all]Instructions for Manual/Semi-Automated Removal of DriverScan 2012[/url].

Again, very sorry, and if you have any trouble don't hesitate to let me know.

Quincy
Old 12-05-2011

I was able to manually remove the application with no problems. Today after reading both of your replies I thought I'd reinstall it again and try to do a scan (crashed) so I tried to uninstall it.

I got the same error again! So I tried the first item on your blog (pasting the string into an elevated command prompt) and it seems to have uninstalled properly. At least I can confirm that method works and you dont have to go around manually deleting stuff.

Quincy if it helps I dont mind to let you experiment on my machine to figure out the source of the uninstall problem since its repeatable.

On an unrelated note, I have never been able to download any drivers from the beta app, on three different machines running different OS. I get the following error when I try [url]http://i42.tinypic.com/25rfurl.jpg[/url]
Old 12-05-2011
Administrator

quincy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper
I was able to manually remove the application with no problems. Today after reading both of your replies I thought I'd reinstall it again and try to do a scan (crashed) so I tried to uninstall it.

I got the same error again! So I tried the first item on your blog (pasting the string into an elevated command prompt) and it seems to have uninstalled properly. At least I can confirm that method works and you dont have to go around manually deleting stuff.

Quincy if it helps I dont mind to let you experiment on my machine to figure out the source of the uninstall problem since its repeatable.

On an unrelated note, I have never been able to download any drivers from the beta app, on three different machines running different OS. I get the following error when I try [url]http://i42.tinypic.com/25rfurl.jpg[/url]

Ciper, thanks! I'd be really grateful for the help testing. I'll give you a free 1 year premium membership as a way of saying thanks, once we try a few things. Let's talk by email, drop me an email at driverscan2012 at symbol besiex dot com.

As for the other error you're getting, I think I know what might be causing it. Let's tackle that with a special build I'll send you tomorrow, once I have your email.

Q
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]