DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Optical Storage Drives (CDs, DVDs, ...)

Old 01-24-2006
StevesHQ

Question W2k - Toshiba Satelitte Pro 4600 - Bios Firmware!!!

Hi all!
I am a brand newbie to this forum (groan,moan!) and I find the driverguide.com site very useful indeed to find those hard to find drivers etc.
My problem is... my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 laptop has all the standard stuff as original specs when made at the factory ... I have been having trouble with the dvd-rom drive not reading normal CDs (make no probs _ datawrites)... and I read that a bios upgrade is needed so my machine will 'see' more in the way of CDs and DVDs etc (as confirmed by the report on this update on this site).

I d'loaded the file to do this from this site, but the read me says make a bootable floppy, then when re-starting the machine type 'this and that' etc...

How on earth do I make a 'bootable floppy and how do I add this downloaded file to it so it will update my bios? As said, a real newbie here, so idiot proof instructions please on how I can make this floppy do the job. Mucking about with the bios is not something that I have done before, so naturally, I dont wish to totally screw my machine up!
I assume that I need one formatted blank floppy in the drive - and I know I have to copy the contents of my 'unzipped' downloaded file onto it - but then somethings missing... I tried just putting the downloaded content on the disk and a restart told me "NTLDR is missing" - so something else needs to be on this floppy?

The machine I have mentioned and it has Windows 2000 installed with service pack 4 it runs like a dream but to see my burnt CDs, I really need this bios update applied (I hope?!).

Anyone out ther who can give me some idiot proof instructions shall go on my next years christmas list for a box of tangerine's! thanks for reading,

SteveB.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2006
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: W2k - Toshiba Satelitte Pro 4600 - Bios Firmware!!!

I strongly suggest you take it to a competent repair shop. Using the wrong bios file or applying it incorrectly can render your drive useless. Do not install any updated bios unless you understand what it does and what issues it addresses.

Your post has nothing related to Windows 2000 so it was moved to the cd-rom forum.

Last edited by Jerry K : 07-30-2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2006

Raj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: W2k - Toshiba Satelitte Pro 4600 - Bios Firmware!!!

hey dude,

whenever u format floopy, there is option to select MS-DOS, which leads to make bootable floppy. this would help u to boot your laptop with A:> dos prompt. then type update and enter. you may see the firmware is done then reboot the PC.

i did the same but i never saw any change of firmware ver. upgrade from1324 to 1735.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]