DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Driver Request Forums > Removable Drive Request Board

Old 02-01-2011

brightwood83 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation [Premium Member] DRIVER NEEDED: SyQuest SparQ 1GB (Windows NT 4.0) [Parallel Port]

What I'm looking for are the original drivers that shipped with the drive for NT 4.0, Win95, DOS, and other older OSs, not the newer ones for Win2k, XP, etc.

Support Information:
Device Type: Removable drive
Manufacturer: SyQuest
Model: SparQ 1GB
Interface: Parallel Port
Operating System: Windows NT 4.0
Age of Device: Not specified
FCCID:

[url="http://members.driverguide.com/driver_search.php?initial=1&ref=request_builder&q= SparQ+1GB"]Find it on DriverGuide[/url] | [url="http://www.google.com/custom?client=pub-4727129938051271&forid=1&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&flav=0001&sig=t06hRycrxd-fw_05&q=SyQuest+Removable+drive++SparQ+1GB+Windows+NT+ 4.0+"]Find it with Google[/url] | [url="http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=getinfo&companyid=1009"]Research manufacturer SyQuest[/url]
Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2011
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: [Premium Member] DRIVER NEEDED: SyQuest SparQ 1GB (Windows NT 4.0) [Parallel Port]

SyQuest SparQ 1GB (a dinasour by todays standards)

You can't be serious when a 4-8 GB. USB Thumb Drive will store several times more data than the Syquest SparQ 1GB......and cost almost nothing compared to the cost of the Syquest SparQ and it's high cost/hard to find cartridges. Unless of course if you're preparing it for display in the Smithsonian. Without a driver, the OS is unaware of this devices' presence. There's a certain pleasure in getting an historic piece of gear like a SparQ running, but there's no future in it. If you get it to work, I suggest copying all the data from the cartridges onto more industry-standard media (e. g., CD-R or a USB Thumb Drive), and then retiring the SparQ to a computer museum or dark closet.

For: Windows 3.1 or higher, Windows 95/98, Windows NT 4.0 (an iMac version was due in Nov. 98, but did not appear due to the fact that SyQuest entered bankruptcy in Nov. '98.

The SparQ drive was a removable drive made by SyQuest Technology. The drive was available as an internal version with IDE interface, and an external version for the parallel port. The cartridge could store 1 GB of data and, as removable-disk hard drive, contained a solid hard disk platter on which the data are stored.

When the SparQ drive was launched, it was primarily noticed for its relatively low price of $199.00 (really?). Compared to the Zip drive, a 100 MB disk could cost $22 USD while a 1 GB SparQ disk could cost $39 USD.

Just a few months after the launch, people began to complain that the drives had serious quality issues, causing them to break down.
The damage to its public image and warranty obligations of Syquest were major factors behind the company's bankruptcy in Nov. '98.

After the bankruptcy, Syquest kept its rights to make and sell the drive, which it continued to sell directly to consumers via its website. The price increased compared to when the drive was launched, so it is primarily for businesses that still rely on the drive and people who want to read old SparQ disks. As of October 2008, the web site is no longer active.

The SparQ was noteworthy for a bizarre failure mode which damages SparQ disks in a way that causes them to damage subsequent SparQ drives in which they are placed. Simply put, putting a broken disk in a SparQ drive will cause the drive to break any new disks placed in that drive. These (now broken) disks can break new drives, breaking most of the drives in an office in short order.

Parallel Port Issues
The parallel port version of the SparQ is the same standard ATA mechanism as supplied with the EIDE version of the drive, with an extra Shuttletech "EPAT" adapter and, of course, and external case, cable and power supply. In general, we don’t recommend parallel port storage devices. We’ve seen many problems, such as conflicts with printers, tape backups or other parallel devices. For example, combining a SparQ Drive, Microtek E6 Scanner, and an HP Deskjet 560 printer is a combination known not to work. The easiest solution is to add a second parallel port. Most single parallel port i/o cards support only IRQs 5 and 7. (The SIIG Dual Parallel Pro card allows you to disable the second port on the card so you only need one IRQ, and gives you a choice of IRQs 3-5, 7, 9-12, and 15.)

However, if you are out of slots and/or IRQs, a high quality A/B parallel switch box should allow you to run the SparQ without problems.

IRQ problems may crop up, too. In the case of the SparQ, the Parallel port version of the drive uses IRQ 7. Thus, you may encounter a problem if another device in your system such as a sound card, modem or scanner uses the same IRQ. The solution, according to SyQuest Tech-support, is to avoid the use of IRQ 7 in these devices.

Note that some parallel port devices, such as the Iomega Ditto Max, are not compatible with ECP parallel ports. You have to go into your BIOS and set the parallel port to either bidirectional or, in some cases, EPP mode. Have you checked to see if you can manually install it from 'add hardware' in control panel? Also, make sure your parallel port is set to bi-directional or EPP or ECP.

Despite the fact that it is essentially a discontinued product from a defunct company, a SparQ was a handy addition to a PC (back in 1998) for those who need quick and convenient access to files on removable media. However, we pity the saps that pre-ordered the USB version of the SparQ, once expected to ship in November 1998. -- it is unlikely they'll see their money, or the drive they ordered, anytime soon, despite a Jan. '99 report on News.com that Inter-Manufacturing Incorporated, based in San Jose, California, is now handling the company's repair work. At least until another company buys the product line or bails SyQuest out, don't expect an unending supply of SparQ media, either.

If you're planning on using the drive in Windows XP, forget it and join the club of users who now have a costly (if bought in 1998) paper weight. What's left of the company is this:

SyQuest Technology, Inc. is at 47071 Bayside Parkway, Fremont, CA 94538; telephone 800-245-2278;
Web site [url]http://www.syquest.com[/url].

Syquest SparQ 1.0 GB Parallel Port driver
OS/Type: Windows 98 / 95
Version: 3.55
File name: pi_355_2_9x.exe (note: the "pi" indicates for "parallel interface".)
File size: 1,426 KB. (1.39 MB.)

Download:

Code:
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1786378 or http://hotfile.com/dl/101192784/cb587d3/pi_355_2_9x.exe.html

Notes:
Ephdw2k.zip is the driver file needed to make it work in Windows 2000.
Available here:
Code:
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=84377

I was unable to find a DOS or Win3.1 driver.

pi_355_4.exe is the driver file needed for use in Windows NT4.0

Fact: No drivers were ever written for Windows XP since it did not exist in 1998 (the year Syquest went out of business via bankruptcy).
Old 02-08-2011

brightwood83 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: [Premium Member] DRIVER NEEDED: SyQuest SparQ 1GB (Windows NT 4.0) [Parallel Port]

Hi Jerry! Thank you so much for the Win9x driver and for all the excellent technical and historical data on this drive, which is very hard to find info on anywhere these days.

Yes, it's true that today's USB drive have much greater capacity, which is great if the computer you're connecting them to has USB ports (which the one I'm connecting it to doesn't) and the OS supports USB technology (which NT4 doesn't).

The media failure pattern you describe sounds a lot like the infamous "click death" syndrome that affected Iomega's Zip and Jaz drives from the same period. Something about that particular generation of removable media drives that made them prone to that kind of failure.

If anyone should happen to have or find the NT4 driver pi_355_4.exe or any DOS driver for this drive, please upload and post!

As for Windows XP, to quote from my own reply to Treetop1212 in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightwood83
First the bad news: SyQuest never provided XP drivers for the SparQ...Now the good news: you shouldn't need a SyQuest driver to use this drive under Windows XP.

I have a couple of these drives, and in my experience I've never needed a driver to get them to work in Windows XP. If I hooked the drive up to a parallel port and had it powered on with a disk in it when I booted up the computer, Windows XP Professional would autodetect it as "Removable Disk" and assign it a drive letter. The native Windows XP drivers worked just fine for me. This was on a Dell Latitude D620 laptop running Windows XP Professional.

If your SparQ isn't working under XP with the native drivers, there are two possible reasons. One is possibly a resource or drive letter mapping conflict. Try disconnecting other devices and see if that helps. Using diagnostic tools to check for resource conflicts may also help.

If you've ruled out conflicts, you might try to see if you can access the drive under Windows 95, 98, 0r 2000 using the drivers for those OSs available here on DG. See Jerry K's reply to my other post for URLs to find these quickly,

[url]http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?p=131292#post131292[/url]

or just do a DG search for the 9x driver (pi_355_2_9x.exe) or the w2k driver (Ephdw2k.zip).

If you have trouble getting the drive to work under these other OSs, it may be that the drive itself has gone bad. Sad to say, this generation of removable cartridge drives from both SyQuest (SparQ) and Iomega (Zip, Jaz, Ditto) hasn't had a great track record for longevity. They tend to go south suddenly and unexpectedly, and there's not much that can be done to repair them once they do. Also, once they've gone bad they have a tendency to corrupt inserted media in ways that will often take down the next drive the media gets inserted in.
Old 12-16-2011

Bugsplat is on a distinguished road
idea Re: [Premium Member] DRIVER NEEDED: SyQuest SparQ 1GB (Windows NT 4.0) [Parallel Port]

I was going through my old computer components and found my old Sparq drive and it still works. WinXP installed it just fine and I was able to get the files you need from the Starter disc that came with it. I uploaded it for you.
Old 12-16-2011
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsplat
I was going through my old computer components and found my old Sparq drive and it still works. WinXP installed it just fine and I was able to get the files you need from the Starter disc that came with it. I uploaded it for you.

A working link is priceless!
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]