DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP

Old 04-28-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Computer is slowing down !!

That's a start. Next you need to delete (or move to an external hard drive) any LARGE files like MP3 and Video files. Also check to make sure you have at least 50 MB. of free space on the hard drive.

Next, run defrag regularly.

Then delete all cache and history files. You can do this using a program called Tracks Eraser Pro or you can do it from the Tools, Internet Options menu at the top tool bar in Internet Explorer (or whatever your internet browser happens to be).

Then install protection software like Bitdefender Total Security 2010 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Update them and run a scan regularly.

Installing additional RAM will also help speed up a computer.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2010

Titicaca is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Computer is slowing down !!

Jerry:

Defragmenting your drive regularly === like how often should this be done? I run windows' own defrag tool, and I get like 90% defragmented, is it time to defrag???
Old 05-25-2010
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Computer is slowing down !!

I do mine regularly about once a week but yours may be different depending on the HD activity (ie: adding, removing files) you have on the drive and how much time you have to do so. There is no set time required, just do it whenever you feel the speed has slowed down. I personally don't care for the built-in Windows defrager... it has to many limitations. I prefer one called O & O Defrag. It's a lot quicker and has many more options.

Last edited by Jerry K : 05-25-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-25-2010

Titicaca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry K
I do mine regularly about once a week but yours may be different depending on the HD activity (ie: adding, removing files) you have on the drive and how much time you have to do so. There is no set time required, just do it whenever you feel the speed has slowed down. I personally don't care for the built-in Windows defrager... it has to many limitations. I prefer one called O & O Defrag. It's a lot quicker and has many more options.

Thank you for that. I really do a lot with my HD, but it is rare that I notice some slowdown on my machine. I will have to check out that O&O program you have, as I find Windows defrag very slow. Is that free?

No, it (like all good software) costs a few bucks.

Last edited by Jerry K : 05-26-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-08-2010

AdamLiuu is on a distinguished road

Check your C-disk.delete or remove those useless softwares.
and don't install so many softwares in C-disk.
Old 11-03-2010

Jude87 is on a distinguished road

Here are 2 programs that work with Windows XP Home, XP Pro, Media Cente, Vista and Windows 7

[URL="http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1762395"]CCleaner v3.00.1303[/URL]
[URL="http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1762396"]Defraggler v1.21.209[/URL]

Last edited by Jude87 : 11-03-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2010

tazz123 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Computer is slowing down !!

install CCleaner latest version & a unistaller called Yourinstaller that will fix your registry errors as well as useless startup applications, which causes system down... best of luck..
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]